Synergy Groups — Learning Together!™

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
Marie

Unread post by Marie » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:11 pm

I’m so excited! I would like to share with you something that I think will meet a need for community among many MFW families. It will also make it easier for MFW families to mentor other families just beginning the homeschool journey.

A Synergy Group™ is two or more families who meet weekly to participate in science, history/geography, art, and music activities from your MFW Teacher's Manual. The group leader uses a Synergy Group Guide which schedules easy-to-teach group activities with minimal preparation.

This is designed to be simple. You don’t need a large group, or a lot of advance planning, or a huge time commitment. It is meant to make your life easier and to provide friendship and encouragement.

How do you begin a Synergy Group? It’s simple – just invite one or more of your friends to use the same year of MFW curriculum as you.
Perhaps you can find a family at your church or in your local homeschool support group.
You might invite a new family to consider homeschooling, with your mentoring assistance, and the encouragement of weekly group times.
Your two families (or more) can meet together in a Synergy Group using our easy-to-teach guides.

Learn more at http://www.mfwbooks.com/synergy

We have Synergy Guides for the following:

Adventures in U.S. History
Exploring Countries and Cultures
Creation to the Greeks
Rome to the Reformation
Exploration to 1850
1850 to Modern Times

Special note if you have completed ECC and are teaching CTG, RTR, EXPO, or MOD this fall:
If you invite a friend who is new to MFW, they would usually begin with ECC.
However, because you have already used ECC, and because we believe so strongly in the strength of community, we make an exception to this guideline.
Your friend can meet with you weekly in a Synergy Group and use CTG (or RTR, EXPO, or MOD) at home, benefiting from your past experience as well as your mentoring and encouragement.

Blessings,
Marie

[Original post 5/9/14]

Julie in MN

Finding synergy groups ?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:05 pm

momgenet wrote:So . . . . how exactly do I FIND people in my community to do synergy groups with ?
Is there a listing somewhere on the forum of people in my region ?
Cici wrote:Great question! I'm curious, as well.
Postby Julie in MN » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:05 am
Hi to both of you,
Synergy groups sound like so much fun and so little extra work, I hope you both get one going.

Marie's answer, based on her experience with the pilot families, is above.

I don't have experience with Synergy, since that wasn't around until my youngest was in high school, but I have scrounged for a science lab partner for my very social youngest child. Remember, you only need to find one other family to form a Synergy group, so it seems similar to finding a lab partner.

Here are a few things that I've tried.

1. Email everyone in our local mom's support group and explain what I am looking for.
2. Tell every homeschool mom I talk to what I'm looking for, whether I'm at a homeschool book sale or whatever. I think this is where you'll find the most success -- just talking to your friends and acquaintances.
3. Also tell everyone that they can tell their friends what I'm looking for, LOL.
4. Inquire with the "leaders" of homeschool co-ops about whether they've considered a class along the lines of what I'm looking for. (I don't contact their "members" because I don't want to compete with them or grab their members away; I've just asked the leaders whether they had a spot where my lab could fit -- or you could ask about a spot for Synergy.) If you aren't connected with a local group yet, try the HSLDA listing of local groups: https://www.hslda.org/LandingPages/local-groups.asp
5. "Advertise" on local homeschool message boards. My area has a Yahoo group for field trips, and there are very small "Minnesota groups" on one or two larger message boards. I know there are local Facebook sites, as well.

Note that each time I wanted a science lab partner (7th & 11th grades), I only found one family that actually followed through, and it was a girl student both times (a different one each year), which wasn't what we were hoping for. Nevertheless, it turned out well and a year of science labs was fully completed in both cases, with some good camaraderie along the way. We even folded in the US History Cookbook during the 7th grade lab, so maybe it started to look like a Synergy group after all :)

HTH,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Marie

Starting a Synergy Group

Unread post by Marie » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:30 am

graceandjarrod wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:36 am
I would love to do this, but don't know anyone near me. Could there be an area on here to post about synergy groups and find others in your area?
HI! Glad you're excited about Synergy Groups.

We've found in the past that posting on this board to find someone for a Synergy Group with doesn't work very well. It's not very likely that you will find someone that lives close enough to you. Synergy Groups work well when you don't have to travel far, and are even better if you know the person (at least a little bit) before you start.

The best thing is to invite a family you know that homeschools (or might consider homeschooling) and invite them to use the same year of MFW as you. You just need to find one other family.

Julie has great ideas in the above post, too.

Hope that helps.
Marie

allgrace

Re: Starting a Synergy Group

Unread post by allgrace » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:52 am

Ok. I will try Julie's ideas. Thank you
"Sanctify them by the Truth, your word is Truth" John 17:17
Ds10: CTG
Dd7:MFW 1st
Dd5: VOD (slowly)
Ds 3: AAAT(slowly)
Ds. 1: nursing, diaper changes, sleeping in carrier😜