Sign language as foreign language?

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:38 am

enrichment items
hsm wrote:What can you tell me about Hearing Everett? Being we are a hearing impaired family and we have been immensely blessed by the missionary biographies this year, this looks very interesting to me.
I'll chime in about Hearing Everett. Since your family is familiar with hearing impairment, I think you would be blessed by it. It's a documentary style, so not like a theater movie, but it tells a true story. One of the sons had lost most of his hearing, and the dad took a short mission trip to Mexico when he was pretty much a brand-new Christian, and on the trip he met a poor deaf boy and found there was nothing for deaf children there, including no Spanish sign language. The mission ranch is the result. It goes through the Everett family's journey as they head into missions, and some of their heartaches along the way as they built up the mission (I can't remember the particulars, but I believe the death of two Everett children is mentioned), so you might want to preview and only show portions to little ones depending on their sensitivity as well as their attention span. Two of the Everett sons (adults now), including Luke who lost his hearing, are sharing off-and-on throughout, and the rest is a reenactment but well done (the guide even says the actor is a very close likeness).

I didn't use the booklet but the small group DVD is testimonies from folks who have done short and long missions at the ranch, from young to old, which I enjoyed very much.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

MelissaB

enrichment items

Unread post by MelissaB » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:45 pm

hsm wrote:Hearing Everett sounds really neat! I think it will be a great addition for us. We have been debating Spanish or sign language for our foreign language....maybe both are in order. ;) I can't wait to hear about this mission!
For sign language, the "Signing Time" DVDs (available at our library for free) are very good.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

jasntas

Re: enrichment items

Unread post by jasntas » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:04 pm

'Signing Time' is also currently available on Netflix streaming.

I'm going to have to look into 'Hearing Everett' myself as my dh has major hearing loss.
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

hsm

Re: enrichment items

Unread post by hsm » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:19 am

Thanks for the Signing Times tip! I am going to check out on Netflix. And, I think I will add Hearing Everett to my cart :-)
Lori-IL
K/ECC, CtG/Learning God's Story
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6

akoldenhoven

Unread post by akoldenhoven » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:23 pm

blessedjourney wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:40 pm
My daughter is going into 4th grade and has taken an interest in sign language.
She is very tactile and very much a hands on learner. She process what we study by drawing, acting out, building etc so I am not surprised she is drawn to sign language. She even decided to sign her spelling words after she worked through the drills.
Can this be her foreign language? It's not foreign in the same way as Arabic or Spanish -
If anyone has studied sign language do you perhaps have Any recommendations on books to use?
This can be a complicated question. ASL (American Sign Language) is indeed it's own language with unique vocabulary, grammar, sentence structure, etc. Depending on the state you are located in can affect if it is treated (counts towards) any foreign language requirements. That being said, it is a WONDERFUL 2nd language. We are a hearing family, but have adored learning ASL and use it almost daily (you can "yell" at your kids across the room and almost no one notices!).

Since she is 4th grade, you probably aren't facing any foreign language requirements yet! If you want to research for the future, try checking out Gaullaudet University as they keep up on which universities and states consider ASL a foreign language. http://libguides.gallaudet.edu/content. ... sid=991858

If she is just beginning, I would keep it fun. Try using the Signing Time videos (many libraries have them). They also just released Signing Time Sentences which is the beginning of more formal ASL training. Books are hard to use as ASL moves. :) http://store.signingtime.com/signing-time/#top

I hope this helps!
Amanda K.
Amanda K.
4th Grade son in CTG
Kindergarten daughter in A to Z

blessedjourney

Re: Sign language as foreign language?

Unread post by blessedjourney » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:35 am

Hi Amanda,

Thank you so much for your reply and advice! It was very encouraging. I am so glad you responded! How fun that your family have learned it together! I actually wanted to learn it when I was younger but I never got to it, so maybe this can be something we can do together!
I certainly had not thought of it as an option to foreign language before. She truly enjoyed it when she tried it a little at the end of this last semester, so I think it will be a great fit for her. We just finished watching a Helen Keller movie - she watched it twice in a couple of days - she liked it so much. I think it just inspired her even more. Such a powerful story.
Thank you for the links, I will check them out!
Blessings,
Camilla

ruthamelia

Unread post by ruthamelia » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:18 pm

Hi there- ASL is a great option for a "foreign language"! I really struggled when I tried out Spanish in PS high school, and I ended up doing ASL instead and have always been glad I did. I'm sure it would be prudent to check, but I never had a problem with colleges or anyone else recognizing this credit. More than that, though, it has turned into a very useful skill to have. In my career as a nurse I encountered more people whose primary language was ASL than I would have anticipated, and they nearly always are extremely appreciative of my ability to communicate with them.
Sorry I don't have curriculum recommendations; I only ever took college level classes in ASL.
Kids in school: 14, 12, 10, 7, 6, 4, 3
We have used: K, First, all Investigate years
2018-2019: First, ECC, AHL

wright4

Unread post by wright4 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:07 pm

We are in CA and ASL counts toward foreign language credit. We use Landry Academy and LOVE them. They are excellent quality, live-taught classes.

blessedjourney

Unread post by blessedjourney » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:57 am

Hi Ruthamelia,

Thank you for your feedback! Really great to hear you have been able to use it in your career as a nurse! I am a nurse too, and there were several times I wished I knew ASL while caring for my patients.
I got some signing lessons on disks from the library and I think she will really have fun with it this year. Perhaps she will continue to learn in the years to come as well.

blessedjourney

Unread post by blessedjourney » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:01 am

HI wright4,

Thank you for chiming in on this post! Great to hear ASL count towards credit there! I appreciate the tip on Landry Academy! I will definitely check it out!

blessedjourney

Unread post by blessedjourney » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:17 am

An update:

We bought our daughter a book with a dvd companion called: "1,000 words to sign" by professor Geoffrey S. Poor.
It has actual photographs of people with the specific sign and the face expression as well as how the movement of the hands should go. It also has comments in the margin of the book on how to move you hands, as well as synonyms etc. She loves this book! She wanted one with real people as opposed to illustrated or cartoonish but there are those options as well.
I imagine she will use this book for a long time, and, it has absolutely enough for this year since she is in 4th grade.

Thanks again for your input and advice - it was very helpful and encouraging!
I have a happy and motivated student - and I am learning sign language myself. It is our special thing we do together;-)

kw4blessings

Unread post by kw4blessings » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:20 am

Hi! I missed this post the first time. I studied ASL in both high school and college, graduating with a BA in ASL. I worked for 6 years as a sign language interpreter before staying home with our oldest child. Looks like you have gotten lots of great responses and are headed in the right direction! I wanted to add that you may want to call your state department for the hearing impaired. The name may be different, I live in Va and hear we have VDDHH, which stands for the Va Dept for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. Our state's office had/has an amazing library where you could check out tons of ASL resources for free.

Best wishes to you and your daughter. Sign language interpreting is a great career choice. I was making " the big bucks" before I decided to stay home. I wouldn't give it up for the world, but interpreting can for sure be a profitable and rewarding career if you choose that route! (I attended Gardner-Webb University in NC...they offer majors and minors in ASL). Nice small Christian school. :)
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!