Help me understand Singapore timing/progress

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
tiffanys

Help me understand Singapore timing/progress

Unread post by tiffanys » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:49 pm

I'm still a little confused with Singapore math. My simple question is this: ideally, what level of Singapore math needs to be completed by the end of what grade? I am finding very conflicting answers online and on the message boards.

We switched to Singapore in October of last year and we went backwards to build up some math confidence. I put my 2nd grade son (at the time) back at 1A and my 4th grade son (at the time) in 3A. We took our time and really focused on the switch to Singapore methods (we had previously used MUS which was not successful for my boys). They are doing wonderfully now, but I am still feeling behind. My now 3rd grader is starting book 2A next week, and my now 5th grader is almost done with book 3B.

So the harder question is, do we need to progress a bit faster in math? Make up for lost time? Or just keep on keeping on? The slow math year last year & the switch was good for all of us and their math understanding has jumped by leaps and bounds, so I don't regret doing it. I just want to make sure that we will be in a good place for higher maths. Thanks!
Tiffany
Having a great year with Adventures with my two older boys - 3rd & 1st grades
With the world's chattiest 4 year old boy & his 2 year old sister tagging along

manyblessings

Re: Help me understand Singapore timing/progress

Unread post by manyblessings » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:48 am

I found this on the MFW website: "Singapore Math is a very strong program; do not expect your child to test into a level that matches their grade level. Singapore books do not necessarily correlate to U.S. grade levels. The goal is to complete at least 5B by the end of the 6th grade. (Some students may easily be able to reach 6B, and should be encouraged to do so.) Many children who switch to Singapore after 2nd grade will need to complete more than one lesson a day until they are on target to reach this goal." Based on this guideline, it sounds as though your 3rd grader is just fine continuing at the pace in the daily lesson plans, but your 5th grader may have to complete more lessons per day in order to complete 5B by the end of 6th grade. I hope that helps.
Lourdes
Mom of 4 adults, 1 daughter-in-law, 1 son-in-law, 1 in 1st, and
3 in heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, and 9/13/13
Married to my soul mate since 6/20/09
Past: MFW K, ECC, AAAT, VOD, GCA, LGS
2019-2020: ADV

TriciaMR

Re: Help me understand Singapore timing/progress

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:15 pm

Finish 5B by the end of 6th grade. That may mean your 5th grader needs to work closer to an hour a day, and through the summers.

I started my boys (twins) in 1A at the beginning of 2nd grade, and they finished 5B by the beginning of 7th grade. We do work through the summers in math, spelling, and reading due to dyslexia.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog