Not a crafty mom, need advice on CTG

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
Ctaita

Not a crafty mom, need advice on CTG

Unread post by Ctaita » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:38 am

Hello everyone,

I'm just looking for some advice. Just for a little background: I am currently homeschooling my 8yo ds(ECC), 5 yo ds(K) and 4yo dd(AATAT.) I also have a 2 1/2 yo ds who loves chaos and a 7 month old ds who is just starting to crawl. I am not a crafty mom, at all. Honestly mostly everything about preplanned crafts stress me out and I just don't see the value of it. I would much rather give my kids paints and canvas and let them create whatever is on their minds, which they actually prefer also. With that said, I feel like I really struggle with how hands on this curriculum is. We've used this from the beginning when my oldest son was in K. At the end of each year I go back and forth on if we should continue with the next year but we have continued because this is what I know and am comfortable with.

I've looked at other curricula like Sonlight or TOG but I just don't feel peace with those options right now. I love TOG's book but not the price, love Sonlight's books and Science (for the most part)but lacks in the bible area IMHO. But really I love the heart of MFW as a company and I love how much the bible is integrated into everything. There are pieces of other curricula that I like but it's hard for me to imagine leaving MFW.

So with all that said do you all think that going on to CTG would work? I look at all the feasts and such and if I'm honest with myself I just know we won't do them, which seems like a waste to me. If you would recommend continuing, do you have any advice on ways to make it work without all the extra crafts and projects?

Thanks for any insight!
Tabitha

manyblessings

Re: Not a crafty mom, need advice on CTG

Unread post by manyblessings » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:36 am

Hi, another non-crafty mom here :) However, I wish I could tell you how to make it work without the pre-planned stuff, because over the years, I really have found that they do add to learning. My children have remembered with joy the hands-on activities I struggled to do with them that were planned in the curriculum. Children in particular retain more when all their senses are engaged. Plus, you are making memories. What I can suggest is, don't feel like you have to do each and every activity-pick one or two that you feel least stressed about, and go with it. Let the children help you as much as possible with preparation as well as execution-don't feel like it's something YOU have to do. Letting your children go to town with their own creative pursuits is awesome, and I have always done that as well, but I have found that doing at least some of the pre-planned projects has really been great for the children and for me :)
Lourdes
Mom of 4 adults, 1 daughter-in-law, 1 son-in-law, 1 in 1st, and
3 in heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, and 9/13/13
Married to my soul mate since 6/20/09
Past: MFW K, ECC, AAAT, VOD, GCA, LGS
2019-2020: ADV

klewfor3

Unread post by klewfor3 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:03 pm

Hello! I have found that I am a crafty mom, but not organized! :-)

I wanted to jump on just to encourage you that CTG is a great year. It is worth the effort. But, honestly, we didn't do the feasts here. I wanted to (desperately) but our lives were just at a point where I couldn't pull them off. That said, we still had a great year, learned a lot, and enjoyed our time!

Just remember, you are the mom and teacher. There is so much to gain by reading through and discussing the feasts. Or using other sources online or other books to get a visual. I wouldn't recommend skipping subjects because I know that Marie has overlapped learning throughout the subjects, but you can absolutely adapt them.

Free creativity is wonderful but I believe there is much to be gained by doing the activities as laid out in the TM. Following directions, attempting to complete a project within a timeframe, and learning new skills are just a few things. Trust me, I am the mom that has the best of intentions to prepare over the weekend, but then I just end up grabbing the TM as I sit down with the kids at the table on Monday and looking at it for the first time. I have strived to do as many of the activities as we can (if I don't have the supplies we just look over the activity together and talk about what should have happened!). It has been so surprising how much my kids over the years have enjoyed AND learned. Sadly, I have to admit, most of projects/activities I didn't want to do...to my credit, I never let them know that :-)

I feel for you as a busy mom with little ones...but I hope you are encouraged. You're not alone. This isn't easy or always in our particular areas of gifting...but it is the most worthwhile thing I have done in my life! Hope that's not too heavy ;)

Prayed for you,
Kathy
Kathy
Mom of Tyler 13, Paige 10, Brooklyn 9 and Chase 3
God bless us!
We've used:
MFW-K
MFW 1st (both versions)
MFW ADV
ECC
CTG
RTR
Expl-1850
Currently using 1850-Modern Times (2016/2017)

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:04 pm

The first time we did CTG, we did do the feasts. The second time, I had a high schooler and twin 5th graders. We did a Sabbath feast, and maybe one other. It was fine. They remembered a bunch from the first time. We got good books from the library to read about them.

Some modifications: find a cloth from Michaels and some fabric paints and let the paint the Sabbath covering. We searched images on google, and then my boys came up with something. (The first time our Sabbath cloth was a drawing my daughter did on paper.) Don't do the tabernacle if you don't want to (I saved the pieces from the first time around, so all we had to do was set it up again), but find a video on it.

My boys are now 7th graders and are not at all into any of the hands on stuff. They want to "get 'er done" (as Mater might say), and feel that it adds too much to the day.

Remember, the curriculum is just a guide, it is not your master. Do what works for your family. Read about the Sabbath feast, and then have your kids paint a picture about it. That's good, too.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

DS4home

Unread post by DS4home » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:05 pm

I have to laugh because I actually love crafts, but always feel so crunched for time that I often skip them! ;(
It's been a while since we did CTG. I know we did celebrate the Sabbath without crafts. My dd walked around the table with a small bowl of water and towel over her arm, so we could wash our hands. We ate the meal I had planned, not a special meal or anything. I did make a loaf of bread from the frozen isle of the grocery store, and we tore it and passed it around rather than slice it. And we spent more time with the prayers than we usually do for a regular meal. We didn't make the bread cover craft or whatever else was suggested. Was there a spice box or something? Anyway, my dd loved it and wanted to do it again several times throughout the year! It left a lasting impression even without the crafts. ;)
I know we didn't do all of the other festivals, but read about them as others have said, or did a scaled back version.
I would encourage you to keep moving forward and do CTG. You already know the richness the curriculum has woven throughout it. The Biblical worldview holds it all together and you don't want to miss that. Don't let a few crafts stand in your way!

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

Ctaita

Unread post by Ctaita » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:21 pm

Thanks everyone for your input, advice and encouragement! I really appreciate you all taking time to respond. Sometimes with so many little people in the house I feel really overwhelmed. But I'll just stick with the motto "keep moving forward." Thanks so much!