Placement help

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
sweetgrace

Placement help

Unread post by sweetgrace » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:30 pm

Hello,

I am considering MFW for next year. I will then have a 2nd grader and a 3rd grader. Would I be using Adventures or ECC? I have tried the last couple of years to combine my children in different curricula and it just has not worked out for us. I always felt my oldest wasn't being challenged enough and my youngest was being drug along for the ride. Does this happen with MFW? How can you make sure each child is being met at their level?

TriciaMR

Re: Placement help

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:37 pm

The idea with MFW is that you have the kids at grade level in math and language arts. You combine for Bible, history and science. MFW uses notebooking pages for Bible, history and science, so your 3rd grader can create pages at his level, while your 2nd grader creates pages at his level. MFW also has the Book Basket list at the back of each TM, for books covering the history and science (and sometimes Bible) topics. The idea is to get the books from the library, and the children enjoy them like a buffet. Some books they may read cover-to-cover, others just look at the pictures. Again, these can be at or above grade level to challenge your older child, but be something enjoyable for your younger child. Some families require reading the book basket books, others use them as more read alouds to enhance the curriculum. Remember, the guide is a tool, not a task master.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

manyblessings

Re: Placement help

Unread post by manyblessings » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:49 am

The usual recommendation if your oldest child is a 3rd grader and the next is a 2nd grader is to use Adventures. Both of your children will get a lot out of it, as it was written just for that age group, then the following year you would have a 4th and 3rd grader in ECC. As the previous poster said, for each level of MFW you would also purchase the appropriate grade level of Language Arts and Math for each child.
Lourdes
Mom of 4 adults, 1 daughter-in-law, 1 son-in-law, 1 in 1st, and
3 in heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, and 9/13/13
Married to my soul mate since 6/20/09
Past: MFW K, ECC, AAAT, VOD, GCA, LGS
2019-2020: ADV