November Check In

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
Christy - Staff

November Check In

Unread post by Christy - Staff » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:42 am

I’m praying you have had a great year so far!

Remember those academic and personal goals you set for your school year back in August? How are you doing? Now is a great time to review what your family has accomplished in the past several months and evaluate.

What significant things have your children accomplished? Is your little one beginning to understand phonics? Is your high schooler getting a good routine down with their academic and personal commitments?
Christy Callahan - MFW Customer Service Team Lead
Wife to Mike (homeschooling dad)
Mom to 5 blessings and foster mom to many

manyblessings

Re: November Check In

Unread post by manyblessings » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:11 pm

Despite the stress and interruption of moving, we have made it up to week 9 in VOD. My little one enjoys our special time together, and has really stepped up in the area of chores. In our new place we have no dishwasher, so she has learned to wash dishes with me or her big sister by hand, and she loves it :) It also pleases me to see how much learning she has retained even though we had to take a month off. My high school senior is struggling a bit in her online program, and it makes me wish she had let me homeschool her independently for her final year, but I don't think that is an option right now. Thankfully, with my 4 year old maturing and learning to spend time in the backyard or in her new bedroom playing quietly for a while, I think I can help my teen get back on track. One thing I am thankful for is that the school let my teen drop Algebra 2. She REALLY does not get it, no matter who explains or how, and this is her third attempt. We are fortunate the school is flexible enough, so now she can focus on her strengths, which ironically were slipping because of the math. I look forward to the rest of the school year, now that we are settled in.
Lourdes
Mom of 4 adults, 1 daughter-in-law, 1 son-in-law, 1 in 1st, and
3 in heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, and 9/13/13
Married to my soul mate since 6/20/09
Past: MFW K, ECC, AAAT, VOD, GCA, LGS
2019-2020: ADV

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:37 pm

My junior is a little behind... Maybe a week or two. But, that is because of *required* instructor driving (2 hour slots) and doctors appointments. You just can't make up lost time when she has 7 hours of dance on top of school. But, she is going to Honduras for a week with her dad on a missions trip the week before Christmas. Her knee is still hurting her so she can't get on pointe. But, maybe resting over Thanksgiving and Christmas will help. (More discussions with the Physical Therapist tomorrow to figure out if this injury is taking too long to heal or she just needs to be more patient.) Starting to try to figure out the college thing for her. My head is exploding on that. :)

My 7th graders are right on track. We do Physical Science labs at co-op, and they are keeping up well. It took a bit of time this year, but we are finally in a groove for each day. Usually it takes about 5 weeks, but this year it seemed to take 9 weeks. But, maybe all those doctors appointments and such. (One broke an arm at the beginning of the school year. Weekly visits for that.)

It looks like we could squeeze in 4 weeks of school before Christmas Break, but I don't know how much of that last week my daughter will need for packing for the Missions Trip. I'm trying to stay flexible. It is all flying by too fast!
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

allgrace

Unread post by allgrace » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:26 pm

We started the school year early and school year round so we are ahead of schedule. My son is doing Adventures and my other kids join in for the science and activities. My kinder girl is challenged by the writing in K. the blend ladder writing is hard, so she copies my words. She is beginning to blend so I am wondering if I should slow the pace down for her. Take two days to cover one. My three year old girl needed more one on one so I started her on Vod and she loves it! We are just going slow and having one on one time is great, plus she is learning the Bible at her level. My one year old boy is climbing and making messes and I am in my first trimester pregnant with number 5! I'm not feeling well and I am exhausted so I am grateful we started school early so we can slow down until I feel better in the second trimester. I have been thinking about trying to finish the year before the baby is born, but that stresses me. So I think we will just take a break and then go slow to finish the end of the year. We shall see. We also just moved to a new state in May, and then recently to a new city.
"Sanctify them by the Truth, your word is Truth" John 17:17
Ds11:RTR
Dd8:RTR
Dd6: MFW K
Ds 4: VOD
Ds. 2: being very active😜

ruthamelia

Unread post by ruthamelia » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:29 pm

So encouraging to hear how others are doing things! And challenging to remember what the goals are for the year!

I do know one of my big goals was to get a structure that works for our unconventional teacher schedule, and I think we've done pretty well. It took some getting used to, but for the most part everyone starts by a reasonable time, the older kids do some independent work while the 4 and 5 year olds do their school, and group work starts at the same time each day. All 3 older kids are doing an amazing job memorizing James! They're into chapter 2 now.

Graceandjarrod- I thought I would mention to you that the handwriting in k has been a stretch for my daughter as well. On the blend ladder worksheets she usually writes the letters in the boxes rather than the lines. I also have a set of alphabet stamps that we sometimes substitute. We're working on handwriting separately- and slowly. I've also read that writing on a vertical surface helps with the muscles to write on a horizontal surface, so I encourage her to use the chalkboard and whiteboard whenever she's willing.

One goal I haven't gotten to this year is to do field trips I have in mind. Maybe when I have a break from work over Christmas I can work on that.

Another goal I'm still working through is getting my 8 year old nephew reading more. He can read fine, just doesn't really like to. Book basket isn't a big problem, but while his brother and sister happily read lots of great literature for reading, he balks. I think it's mostly because he just doesn't enjoy fiction that much. He likes nonfiction, but it's hard to find nonfiction that is substantial yet not too mature. Children's nonfiction tends to just gloss the surface of a subject, but I don't trust adult nonfiction if someone hasn't previewed it first. Any suggestions are welcome!
Kids in school: 15, 13, 11, 8, 6, 4, 4
We have used: K, First, all Investigate years
2018-2019: First, ECC, AHL

allgrace

Unread post by allgrace » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:01 am

Thanks for the tip about the handwriting. My son is 8 and doesn't really read for enjoyment. He loves airplanes, science, how things work, etc. Some of the Usborne books might be nice for your nephew. I also think some kids don't read for enjoyment until they are older. I just assign my son readers to make sure he reads. I do find him reading highlights magazine's and the World Kids magazine, but I don't know how much he reads vs. Just looks at the pictures.
"Sanctify them by the Truth, your word is Truth" John 17:17
Ds11:RTR
Dd8:RTR
Dd6: MFW K
Ds 4: VOD
Ds. 2: being very active😜