Too Late?

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
GLPerky

Too Late?

Unread post by GLPerky » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:52 pm

Hello,
I haven't been here in years, but as you can see, I'm back! I used MFW K and Adventures for my son who will be in "6th grade" this coming school year. See, it has been awhile! Anyway, I am looking at using ECC for 6th grade, but that puts us way behind in the cycle, so is it too late to jump in? If not, what would we use for 7th and 8th?

Also, he is pretty independent in his schooling, would it be a mistake to use family style learning after he has already been pretty independent?

I realize these questions, could be answered with, "It depends on the child," or "It's up to you, the parent," but I am just looking for your opinions! Thank you!

Julie in MN

Re: Too Late?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:53 pm

Welcome back! I remember you :)

ECC is a great idea for the coming year. Then you can jump in with whatever years your son has spent the least time on.

As far as going from independence to a family-style program, I suspect it may be a transition for him. However, it would be valuable to me to spend more time discussing subjects like Bible and history with a middle school aged child. I might allow him to set up science experiments on his own or things like that, but when it comes to certain areas I might want to teach him to see a variety of ways of looking at things, an endless amount that could be learned on a topic, the benefit of getting feedback on your understandings, etc.

Just some thoughts,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

manyblessings

Unread post by manyblessings » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:04 pm

Welcome back! I am also back to MFW after a verrry long hiatus, if you look at my signature line ;) As for your question about being too late, never fear! Simply use ECC for 6th (adding grade appropriate language arts and math), then continue with CTG for 7th, and RTR for 8th (adding of course the appropriate 7th to 8th grade language arts, science, and math). After that he would jump into the high school cycle for 9th through 12th. He will get American history in 11th and 12th grades, so you aren't missing anything academically :)
Lourdes
Mom of 4 adults, 1 daughter-in-law, 1 son-in-law, 1 in 1st, and
3 in heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, and 9/13/13
Married to my soul mate since 6/20/09
Past: MFW K, ECC, AAAT, VOD, GCA, LGS
2019-2020: ADV

GLPerky

Unread post by GLPerky » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:23 pm

Thank you ladies! I'm so excited.