Preschool quandary

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
Sallylourn

Preschool quandary

Unread post by Sallylourn » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:46 pm

I am in the process of figuring out what to do next year because I'd like to order soon. We are getting through ECC with my 5th and 2nd graders, and we plan to do CTG next year. However, I'm not sure what to do for my almost four year old. Last winter, a little bit before Voyage of Discovery was released, I ordered the pre-K toys and books for her for this year. Now, I am not sure what to do with her next year. If I ordered VOD, I would already have half the books and toys that go with it. I'm not sure if it would be very cost effective to just buy the manual and the other things we are missing. I thought about getting the kindergarten curriculum and going through it slowly, but she will only have just turned 4 1/2 in the fall, so she'd be a little young.

I also am not sure if I can devote a whole lot of time to preschool next year. I'm having a really hard time fitting it in this year. Every school day, she says, "Do my school! Do my school!" She brings me the little schedule and asks what book she is on for that day. It doesn't matter how much I try to include her in what the big kids are doing. If she doesn't get to do her school, she is sad. But I feel I need to devote a lot of the time my baby is napping to the big kids to get their school done at a decent time because when the baby is up, it's really difficult to read anything to anyone because she wants to grab the books and crinkle up the pages. So I guess what I am saying is that I have to figure out something for my preschooler to do next year, but I don't know if I can handle another full curriculum, even though she would love it.
Sarah, wife of Steve
Mom of Timothy (13), Talia (10), Violet (6), and Lydia (3)
2016-2017 ECC (first year homeschooling)
2017-2018 CTG and VOD
2018-2019 RTR and K
2019-2020 Exp to 1850 and 1st

manyblessings

Re: Preschool quandary

Unread post by manyblessings » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:09 am

I would consider calling the MFW office and asking for their recommendations. Perhaps they can work with you on purchasing only what you are missing for VOD. It's a wonderful program and only takes about an hour a day. Since you are also teaching older children, you could pick and choose how much you wish to complete each week. Maybe your 5th grader could even help your preschooler with an activity while you are working with your 2nd grader on math or language arts. Just brainstorming; I hope this gives you some ideas. :)
Lourdes
Mom of 4 adults, 1 daughter-in-law, 1 son-in-law, 1 in 1st, and
3 in heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, and 9/13/13
Married to my soul mate since 6/20/09
Past: MFW K, ECC, AAAT, VOD, GCA, LGS
2019-2020: ADV

Sallylourn

Unread post by Sallylourn » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:16 pm

Thanks for the advice, Lourdes. I will have to find time to call the office soon!
Sarah, wife of Steve
Mom of Timothy (13), Talia (10), Violet (6), and Lydia (3)
2016-2017 ECC (first year homeschooling)
2017-2018 CTG and VOD
2018-2019 RTR and K
2019-2020 Exp to 1850 and 1st

HSmommi2mine

Unread post by HSmommi2mine » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:20 pm

You can always just let her listen to read alouds and give her some coloring pages that tie in with big kid stuff but it sounds like you really want her to have a program suited to her specifically.

If so, no matter what you do I think you are going to have to enlist the older kids to help out. While you are working individually with your son, big sister practices her reading by reading aloud to the little one. When you are working with your dd, big brother takes over doing a project or something.

Make it part of their school work and they can be completely responsible for their little piece of her program.

It may only take an hour, but an hour when you have 3 kids to school and an infant may as well be forever. YOU may not be able to spend an hour doing school activities with the 4 yo, but I bet the three of you can do it as a team.

Also, the blog Preschoolers and Peace is a great resource.
~Christina

Wife to my favorite guy
Mom to 3 great kids