AHL Epic of Gilgamesh

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
RachelT

AHL Epic of Gilgamesh

Unread post by RachelT » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:53 pm

Hello! Have any of you found an audio version of The Epic of Gilgamesh A Poetic Version from AHL? It has MFW listed as the publisher, so I am not finding an audiobook version in other places where we usually look for them. Thanks for any ideas you may have. We may need to read this one aloud together.
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

Julie in MN

Re: AHL Epic of Gilgamesh

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:36 pm

Hi Rachel,
I'm afraid it is unlikely this version of Gilgamesh will be recorded on audio. You could contact Smarr Publishers, the original author/publisher, but it is a small homeschool company.

I think reading it together is a great idea. We did that as well. By the way, here was my own reaction when I tried the full-length audiobook:
Julie in MN wrote:The poetic version sold by MFW is very unique. It was created by the author of the literature studies used in AHL, just for students. I recommend using it for several reasons.

First, it is shorter, which is nice to get to the point without being drawn out forever.

Second, the MFW version will correlate with the study questions in the Literature Supplement. It's something like a Progeny Press guide, and the vocab questions in particular will be easier with the matching version.

Third and most importantly... it is less embarrassing! I found this out by researching audiobooks for my son's AHL year. I checked out an audio version of Gilgamesh and my, oh my, I blushed and turned it off and knew we wouldn't be using an audio for that one. The AHL version still gets the story across (it's for high schoolers not for elementary kids),
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

4Truth

Re: AHL Epic of Gilgamesh

Unread post by 4Truth » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:24 pm

I highly recommend reading it aloud together. For one thing, *I* enjoyed it, too! ;) But it also gave my daughters and I the opportunity to discuss it well. Since this is the one of the first pieces of literature assigned for the year, reading and discussing it aloud together also helps with acclimating the student to the new year.
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.