Pre-K and Records Questions

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
GMYERS

Pre-K and Records Questions

Unread post by GMYERS » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:17 pm

Hi everyone - I’m new to homeschooling and have a few questions. My daughter turned 3 in October and we started Horizon’s Preschool for Threes curriculum around that time. At that point she knew all of her numbers and letters, colors, shapes, etc. and loves loves loves doing “school stuff.” Lately I’ve been checking out other curriculums for next school year. MFW Pre-K curriculum looks amazing and exactly what my husband and I are looking for. So my 2 questions are these:

If we start the MWF Pre-K (when my daughter is an older 3) in the Fall, that would put her at starting Kindergarten when she’s an older 4 - is that just too much for a 4 year old?

In reading, I’ve noticed that MWF doesn’t have tests or anything of that nature. As of right now, we’re taking homeschooling one year at a time. Neither myself or my husband were homeschooled, so all of this is very new to us. If we were ever to decide to move our kids into public school, what sort of records would you provide as far as their previous schooling? Or how do transcripts and grades work even later down the road if there are no tests or the like? I apologize if I’m not using the correct wording for all of this. I know it’s very very early to be thinking of all that, but the thoughts are in my head when looking at curriculums :)

arosemalone

Re: Pre-K and Records Questions

Unread post by arosemalone » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:14 pm

You could stretch out the Pre-K program and wait to start MFW K until you think your daughter is about ready for kindergarten work.
As far as what the public schools want to know when you enroll a child, I don't think tests are really important at this age. You might want to check with HSLDA to find out what the homeschool requirements are for your state.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:35 am

Hi and welcome to homeschooling!

I agree that HSLDA is an excellent resource, and I believe membership while your oldest is a preschooler is free!

About possibly changing to public school, typically students are placed in public schools by age during elementary school, rather than based on a transcript. You can create a transcript, but in elementary school it will typically just say "acceptable" or "needs improvement."

In high school, MFW provides complete information on creating a transcript, and homeschool transcripts are very familiar to colleges today. My son had no problem with college applications after using MFW from 3rd to 12th grade (with some dual college credits during high school). However, public high schools typically do not include homeschool credits on their transcripts, so in most cases the decision to homeschool in high school needs to be made in 9th grade. You might have a more cooperative public school or you might have private school options, but having to start high school over is a possibility (or you could create a homeschool transcript that included the homeschool and public school credits earned).
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

GMYERS

Unread post by GMYERS » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:14 pm

Thank you so much for the info and advice!