Need help with Progeny Press and more for 7th grader

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
klewfor3

Need help with Progeny Press and more for 7th grader

Unread post by klewfor3 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:53 pm

Hello!

This year is proving to be a quite an adjustment for my ds (7th grade) and I. Dare I say, it hasn't been easy...With a toddler and 2 others that I am teaching I was ready for him to be more independent with his learning.

Specifically, how are we to use the Progeny Press books? My son does not love reading. I bought him one book and progeny press (the Roman one...but not the Bronze Bow) and he told me (once I pressed him about getting his work done) that he didn't care for the book and couldn't get into it. I tried to have grace and then had him start on the Swiss Family Robinson thinking that might work better. He finally finished it and once I sat down to look at his work I found it was mostly incorrect or incomplete. Frankly, I don't think he read the book. Then as I really started looking I saw there were Class Discussion questions (should we have done those together?) and research projects and papers. Is he supposed to be doing those? We have 11 wks left of our school year. He still has one more of these to do...

How have these been used by other families? Do you accept one word answers? Anyone else have a reluctant reader/writer?

Thanks,
Kathy
Kathy
Mom of Tyler 13, Paige 10, Brooklyn 9 and Chase 3
God bless us!
We've used:
MFW-K
MFW 1st (both versions)
MFW ADV
ECC
CTG
RTR
Expl-1850
Currently using 1850-Modern Times (2016/2017)

Julie in MN

Re: Need help with Progeny Press and more for 7th grader

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:16 am

Hi Kathy,
Good to "see" you here :)

I'm just going to answer as a mom, with a son who didn't see the value in literature that he didn't enjoy (he did better in his boys book club, where there was sure to be some conversation he enjoyed).

It seems to me that your first task is to ensure that he reads the book. You could do this by constant discussion along the way (every day or every chapter), or by finding a book that he is more willing to read. I started my son with a very easy book (Maniac Magee). Honestly, I'd have been willing to start him with Winnie the Pooh if I had to :) I'd also have been willing to listen to an audiobook together (libraries have a lot of those, as do online services), although my preference was to have him read the book.

Then, the second task is to get him thinking about the book in deeper ways, using the literature guide. My own son really had no inclination to do that. I remember having him read The 100 Dresses in maybe 3rd grade and, when asked, he said it was about making fun of dresses. Maniac Magee had a similar theme of "kids on the other side of the tracks" and I wanted to see some progress there. (We are very urban, so maybe it never occurred to him that these issues existed?) I am a literature fan and part of the glory of lit for me is exploring deeper issues, so I wanted to bring him toward that goal at least a bit. I didn't have a problem with one-word answers, but I wanted to see a spark of depth emerging. He was still struggling with this in 10th grade with books that went beyond a sequence of events (e.g. Cry, The Beloved Country and Animal Farm), so I used SparkNotes to walk him through deeper issues in those, but he definitely had made progress - he adored Pilgrim's Progress and saw all of the deeper messages there. He reads a variety of things in college now, and definitely is more interested in some than others, but he is doing fine.

I think the third task is building independence. I did choose to use the Progeny Press guides as an area to develop independence, so I had him fill out the guides rather than just discussing (even if his answers were sometimes one word - I could always torture him by asking him what he meant on every one!). Also, I allowed typing for any assignment, but he chose to write in the book. However, if your son is building independence in science or elsewhere, then maybe you won't need to make that a priority with literature.

Hope that helps. Interested to hear other experiences with a variety of kids. (I found a few other experiences here: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=8047 }
Julie
P.S. The research projects and essays are not necessary.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:34 pm

We don't do the research projects and essays.

With my oldest, who loves to read, she would read the entire book (usually in a week), and then we broke out the PP guide into a section (vocabulary, questions, deeper thought, whatever) a day. Sometimes she would need to reread the chapters the PP guide was questioning, so, usually one day day to read, and then 3 or 4 days to do the vocab and questions.

My boys (twins) just read the chapters that apply to the section of the PP guide they are working on, and then do the vocab and questions. It usually takes them about a week to do a section at a time. I bought the electronic version of the PP guides, and they answer on their computers, as I didn't want to buy more PP guide books that would get "used up." While one boy did Swiss Family Robinson, the other did the Bronze Bow, and then in a couple of weeks we'll switch.

My kids don't always go quite as "deep" as the PP guides seem to want them to go, so I'll often discuss with them the deeper meaning the PP guide is looking for.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

klewfor3

Unread post by klewfor3 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:09 pm

Thank you so much for your replies. It gives me a lot to go on. My poor first kid...I tend to over do it on the expectation level. I will back off on the kind of writing I expected in the progeny press and go through the answers with him...maybe orally.

Thanks laying out the goals Julie. Read the book (yes ;)), deeper thinking, and building independence.

Deep breath... :-)

Thanks,
Kathy
Kathy
Mom of Tyler 13, Paige 10, Brooklyn 9 and Chase 3
God bless us!
We've used:
MFW-K
MFW 1st (both versions)
MFW ADV
ECC
CTG
RTR
Expl-1850
Currently using 1850-Modern Times (2016/2017)

Alicia42

Unread post by Alicia42 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:13 pm

My son and daughter are as different as chalk and cheese. The daughter loves reading but the son is the extreme opposite; forget about being reluctant, he absolutely detests it. Loves science though, and is hooked on to these science activities. I'm not saying that's bad but then my belief is that if you have an aptitude for reading, everything else follows automatically. However, since we've been pretty much a reading family (both from me and their daddy's sides), I'm still quite hopeful that something is hiding in his genes and will come out as and when in the near future. *sigh*