Writing for 10th grade?

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
carlamom2ansnm

Writing for 10th grade?

Unread post by carlamom2ansnm » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:02 pm

Talk to me about writing in WHL. I'm struggling trying to decide what to do with my 10th grader next year. She had IEW in 6th grade, 2 years of LTOW in 7th-8th grade, and this year she's in an Honors Writing class at Wilson Hill Academy. I feel like she's still highly lacking on her writing skills. Her writing sounds very simple and informal, she gets off topic and rambles easily. I'm lost as to what she should do for writing next year. She's doing WHL (we've been away from MFW for several years), but I think I read somewhere that MFW really focuses on writing in AHL and simply builds on that in WHL. Is she going to be lost? She I give her a specific writing program instead of the MFW plan in WHL? Someone tell me what to do lol.

Julie - Staff

Re: Writing for 10th grade?

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:38 pm

Hi again Carla :)

I have a few different scenarios for you...

1. If your daughter hasn’t had Ancient History, but instead earned a different social studies credit in 9th grade.

a. We recommend using AHL in 10th grade, WHL in 11th grade, and a combo of US1 and US2 in the 12th grade (selecting social studies credits from these programs based on which credits were already earned in 9th grade).

b. A second option, as you have mentioned, is to use WHL for 10th grade and then use US1 and US2 for 11th and 12th. For her writing needs:
  • * Your daughter may do fine in WHL as long as she has had adequate grammar and writing up to this point. It is possible she just needs time to mature and to practice.

* If you don't feel she's had sufficient writing and grammar, or if it doesn't seem to have stuck for her, then she could use Writing With Skill-1 (which we suggest in 7-8th grades), but at a fast pace, preferably during the summer before she starts WHL.
2. If, on the other hand, your daughter didn't earn a high school social studies credit in 9th grade, then instead of the above options, we suggest calling the office for a consultation. We would want to help you develop a plan to ensure your daughter gains all needed credits for graduation.

Julie

carlamom2ansnm

Unread post by carlamom2ansnm » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:27 pm

Thank you so much for the reply.

She is in ancients in a different program right now, so she definitely won't be doing that again next year. Oh if I had never left my original MFW plans.... But I digress...I like the idea of Writing With Skill! I am going to be having my 7th grader start it next year, so that would be perfect for my older one to do it over the summer. We'll get on that. By doing this, do you think she would be fine to miss the writing instruction in AHL?

I truly feel like she has all the pieces of writing, but still just sounds very childish while doing it. More practice/editing is probably the key. Thank you for the help.

carlamom2ansnm

Unread post by carlamom2ansnm » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:40 pm

While researching this, I came across this document from SWB. Would it be better if she did WWS 2 or 3? Or would 1 be sufficient?

http://downloads.peacehillpress.com/sam ... nation.pdf

Julie - Staff

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:34 pm

Carla,
I don't think that link really addresses your question about coming into 10th grade without the whole long progression of writing products used beforehand.

I have read Susan Wise Bauer's Q&A conversations elsewhere, and I never saw a suggestion that a student jump into WWS-2 or 3 without having done level 1. The description of level 2 says, "It builds on the skills taught in Level 1." I don't know anyone personally who has used 2 or 3, but it makes the most sense to me to start with WWS-1.

High schoolers I've known often do not have the life experience to write knowledgeably or persuasively about topics, so your dd might be doing just fine, or might just need parts of WWS-1. Kids generally need time and practice to get into the rhythm of grown-up communication.

The most valuable thing we can offer our high schoolers - in my opinion - is consistent feedback from our point of view as their reader. When do we have trouble understanding what they've written? When do we feel they've said something that everyone might not agree with - and which needs a few more facts thrown in? When have they given us exactly what we would want to know? Even more than choosing the correct program to use, I'd encourage you to be sure and schedule time with your high schooler for feedback :)

Julie

ruthamelia

Unread post by ruthamelia » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:03 pm

Take all this with a grain of salt, because we haven't hit high school yet! It has been my experience that reading good writing is one of the best ways to get from the "childish" writing you described to more mature writing. Great examples give a learner a role model to follow. That's one of the things I really like about WWS- it gives students a wide variety of good role models to follow. Next to that, read, read, read. Even audiobooks can provide a rich source of models of sentence structure, sentence variety, vocabulary, etc.
Kids in school: 15, 13, 11, 8, 6, 4, 4
We have used: K, First, all Investigate years
2018-2019: First, ECC, AHL