Planning for 9th grade

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
Rox

Planning for 9th grade

Unread post by Rox »

Could someone please give me an idea of the parent's role in the high school years. I am considering declare for our 9th grader. How much time and effort is required for the parent to be informed/ prepared at the weekly informal discussions described in the catalog?
Julie - Staff

Re: Planning for 9th grade

Unread post by Julie - Staff »

Parent meetings probably look differently in each home. I thought I'd start the conversation by linking you to a thread with some different examples of parent meetings: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8899 . Hopefully others will share how it looks in their homes!

In general, no preparation is required at all and you can just focus on things like:
  • You will want to check through the Lesson Plans to see that all work is compete. There is info in the Lesson Plans for Week 1/Friday about spot checking various assignments.
  • If you have corrected your student's work, then you may know some areas that would make for good conversation, both areas where it appears your student doesn't understand the content AND areas where your student is showing real growth. Personally, I encourage parents to plan for time to give feedback as a reader - helping your student keep improving in the way he is communicating in writing.
  • If you would like to plan some discussion questions, then a glance through the week's Lesson Plans will show you many of the topics that were covered by your student that week. For example, in the Sample of AHL (Week 10 on page 16 of the 20-page sample https://www.mfwbooks.com/downloads/pdfs ... sample.pdf ), I might ask my student who the Minoans were, what radiometric dating is, or which was the most unusual myth he read this week. (Because of my youngest son's personality, I'd sometimes try to find a question I could make funny :) .)
Rox

Re: Planning for 9th grade

Unread post by Rox »

MFW-Julie/Archiver,

Thank you for your helpful response and links.
Rox, wife of a Godly man and mother of two boys.
We are thrilled to have used MFW for many years. Thanks to God for blessing our family through homeschooling with MFW!!!