How can I do a Synergy Group with 5 yr old and 2nd grader (Adventures in US History)?

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
our3girls

How can I do a Synergy Group with 5 yr old and 2nd grader (Adventures in US History)?

Unread post by our3girls »

My friend and I are interested in doing a synergy group together for 2017-2018 year. I will have 2nd grader, 4.5 year old (not doing Kindergarten in 2017), 2 year old. My friend has a 5 yr old and 2 yr old. How could we do a Synergy Group using Adventures in US History. Would her Kindergarten student use AUH too, or would he use the Kindergarten curriculum?

Thanks for your suggestions!
our3girls
Julie - Staff

Re: How can I do a Synergy Group with 5 yr old and 2nd grader (Adventures in US History)?

Unread post by Julie - Staff »

Hello!
I have not heard about a family trying Synergy in your situation and so your post has prompted some discussion :) Synergy is designed for families doing the same curriculum at home, but with a bit of creativity it seems possible to create your own unique blend. If you do, I'd love to hear how it goes!

Some random thoughts:

1. You could look at your entire group as one family. In a family, you are primarily teaching Adventures to your oldest while "inviting" all younger "siblings" aged 3 and up to join in on fun activities [rather than requiring full participation].

2. The kindergartner would NOT be doing Adventures at home. Your friend's family will be using the K package, which will best serve the needs of a 5 year old educationally, spiritually, emotionally, and physically (writing etc.).

3. As the ADV mom, you can look over the Synergy Guide and teach one or more activities each week that seem to fit the children in your group. Skip the activities from “I Can Do All Things” because that is for age 6+, but your group might enjoy the music, history, and/or science activities. The prayer and reciting of memory work could be adapted to include whatever each child is working on at home, and still be meaningful.

4. Then the K mom can pick one activity from her week to teach in group (and thus not have to teach at home). She might also read the literature book for the week (all ages will enjoy that, and the kindergartner will want to hear it more than once). Then she could lead 1-2 follow-up activities listed for the book in her Teacher’s Manual.

5. You could also go on field trips together, especially ones that fit the theme of either curriculum (several K units have field trip suggestions). Plan park days, a picnic, etc.

6. If you continue with your Synergy group, your friend can eventually jump into the family program that you are using -- once her oldest is finished with the learning-to-read stage and ready for 2nd grade. From the Synergy page on the website (the box on the side):
If you invite a friend who is new to MFW, they would usually begin with ECC. However, because you have already used ECC, and because we believe so strongly in the strength of community, we make an exception to this guideline. Your friend can meet with you weekly in a Synergy Group and use CTG (or RTR or EXP) at home. This provides her with the benefit of your past experience (with ECC and MFW), mentoring, and encouragement.
https://www.mfwbooks.com/products/32/Synergy-Groups/

7. Use the opportunity to meet as moms and pray for your kids. Encourage each other. Synergy groups are always a great opportunity for friendship and accountability.

Best wishes as you plan this new venture!
Julie
our3girls

Re: How can I do a Synergy Group with 5 yr old and 2nd grader (Adventures in US History)?

Unread post by our3girls »

Thanks so much for your help in thinking through how we can make it work. I think K mom and I will try to work something out. I can post back when we have a plan and then again to share how it's going.