Continue Singapore 6A?

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
inHisgrip

Continue Singapore 6A?

Unread post by inHisgrip »

Okay mamas, I need some 'seasoned' support or advice. My second child, my daughter, is currently in 6th grade and has been doing Singapore math since 2nd grade. Her older brother did the same thing and was able to complete 6A before the end of his 6th grade year and continuing onto Saxon 8/7 in 7th grade. He has quite the brain for math and is able to get through his lessons with little help from me (praise the Lord!!). My daughter completed 5A and 5B this year by February so I ordered her 6A to end out the year. IT IS KILLING US! I forgot how difficult the percentage word problems were. We keep asking her brother for help, but he's now using algebra to help us and it's confusing us all! :-/ Should we press ahead, possibly really making her feel week in math, and hurting my brain beyond repair (I have two more kids that will need my brain intact when they get to this point), or should I call it quits in math for the year and figure she'll get back around to this stuff in Saxon in 7th grade? Any advice?
Married since 98 to my best friend
ds 2003
dd 2005
angel baby October 2008
ds 2009
ds 2014
Julie - Staff

Re: Continue Singapore 6A?

Unread post by Julie - Staff »

I'll start the conversation. I hope others chime in as well.

Singapore level 6 is a challenge!

There were times in Singapore when my son needed a break and we used something else for a bit, or we focused on math facts for a while. It was like his brain just needed to calm down :~ After a bit it would become easy again. The breaks didn't hurt him - he's doing all kinds of vectors and such in college now.

If you take a break, you have options. Personally I would continue to have a Math block of time each day until the end of your school year, but you could do something else for the rest of the year (even Khan Academy videos or the like) - finishing Singapore 5B is the minimum goal and she has met that. Or, you could keep Singapore in mind to possibly go back to after working on memorizing a few percentage facts for a while. Or, you could do a smaller amount - maybe a "challenge problem" from Singapore each day to keep flexing those math muscles for the future.

There are a few 6A problems discussed in the Archives, in case listening to others talk through a problem would be helpful: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=13775 (2 pages)

Julie
tubobutter

Unread post by tubobutter »

I have had the same issues. So I chose to skip level 6 and use a pre algebra book (Principles of Mathmatics from Master Books) bridge the gap. Keep in mind I don't use Saxon but something else for upper levels.

Maybe that's not the best path, but with lots of school to teach it's the best for us ;)

Blessings,
Kristen
inHisgrip

Unread post by inHisgrip »

Thank you ladies, your suggestions were helpful. I decided to take a break from Singapore and have her work on the percentage book from Life of Fred. We were able to check it out from our library and she is enjoying it. We may go back to Singapore 6A or we may just continue Life of Fred until our school year is over. I'm just going to play it by ear and feel comfortable that she completed 5B and is still enjoying math (as much as she can). Thanks again!
Married since 98 to my best friend
ds 2003
dd 2005
angel baby October 2008
ds 2009
ds 2014
Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee »

I'm a little late to the conversation. I see you've made a decision to stop using Singapore 6A for awhile and use some Life of Fred instead. I'm glad you were able to come to a decision about that.

I just wanted to comment that my oldest only finished through Singapore 5B by the end of 6th grade (that is MFW's recommendation), and she started Saxon 8/7 in 7th grade. She ended up needing some extra time with both Saxon 8/7 and Saxon Algebra 1. Each course took longer than a year for her. So, I've learned that when we finish a resource for one subject, we just go ahead and move on to the next resource. That way, if my kids need some extra time, or we need to take some days off, I don't feel that we're "behind" because we started early. :-) Instead of starting Singapore 6A, perhaps you could have gone on to start Saxon 8/7 (if that is what you're going to use next) and just move through it at your child's pace. Just an idea for you and for others.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy
kidswife

Unread post by kidswife »

I think going going from Singapore 5B to Saxon 7/8 would be okay as a next step. Singapore 6A/B is practically a Pre-Algebra for mental math. My daughter finished 6B about a year and a half ago and is now somewhere in Algebra (we use VideoText Algebra which is Pre-Algebra, Algebra1 and Algebra2 in one ha-yuge book) --Probably middle of Algebra 1, and just now is getting to connections she made way, way back in Singapore 6.
My advice is to not push through the tears, especially when there are other great options waiting for her. However, I also advise you not to quit. Don't take too long a break with her.
I hope that helps!
Theresa
DDs 13, 11, 7
DS 9
Used/using R&S Preschool, Sonlight Books, Classical Academic Press, MFW & Classical Conversations!