Hillyer's CHOTW

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
bethinga

Hillyer's CHOTW

Unread post by bethinga » Tue May 16, 2017 8:58 am

Some of my other Charlotte Mason friends use Child's History of the World by Hillyer for history. I understand why MFW uses the Bible and Streams of Civilization in CTG. But I'm wondering if we should try to somehow fit in Hillyer this year, maybe on audio in the car or something? Am I missing out by not using it?

I was kind of surprised it wasn't listed in the back of the TM with the other General Resources for Book Basket, since it is such a popular CM choice. Which made me wonder if the Hazells left it off the list intentionally for some reason (and I generally trust their opinions).

I would appreciate some guidance on whether or not to use it. Would it be too redundant with everything else being used? Is CTG using better resources? Is there a good reason to avoid it? Or might it fit nicely as supplemental reading?
Beth in GA
Mom to a boy and a girl
Using MFW since 2012

bethinga

Re: Hillyer's CHOTW

Unread post by bethinga » Tue May 16, 2017 2:03 pm

Another one I hear a lot about is M.B. Synge's Story of the World. I guess I'm wondering if I need a "story-like" history book to read along with CTG, and/or if either should be avoided for some reason.
Beth in GA
Mom to a boy and a girl
Using MFW since 2012

bethinga

Unread post by bethinga » Tue May 16, 2017 2:23 pm

I may have answered my own question. Lol. After reading some reviews, it seems that although Hillyer reads delightfully, it is Biblically inaccurate and glosses over areas the author didn't think were important. The Synge histories seem to do the same, but with less Biblical inaccuracies.

So, since Streams of Civilization is updated, accurate information, and nothing can be more Biblically accurate than the Bible itself, AND so many wonderful other living books have been added into the program, and suggested for Book Basket, there really doesn't seem to be a need for any other "story-like" history book.

I'd be very hesitant to put the Synge books in the Book Basket, since there could be inaccuracies, because I'd want to discuss them as they came up, and I can't keep up with that if they're reading it on their own. I would NOT want Hillyer in the Book Basket because of the inaccuracies taught in the first section, pertaining to the beginnings of man.

So that just leaves the possibility of using one of them as an audio book. But, it doesn't seem like I'll *need* more history (for the reasons mentioned above). I think I'd prefer to use audio and/or car listening time for our classical music studies, or folk songs, or hymns (when we're not listening to our own local praise station :) ).
Beth in GA
Mom to a boy and a girl
Using MFW since 2012

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue May 16, 2017 4:10 pm

I haven't ever subbed anything in the family cycle years. They are a good balance.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue May 16, 2017 4:35 pm

bethinga wrote: I would NOT want Hillyer in the Book Basket because of the inaccuracies taught in the first section, pertaining to the beginnings of man.
I had that book once-upon-a-time and was also uncomfortable with some outdated wording about people groups; I'm not sure whether that has been updated? It's just an awkward memory that comes to mind when I recall trying some of those older books.
bethinga wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 2:23 pm
nothing can be more Biblically accurate than the Bible itself,
When Bible stories came up at my house, my son would ask to read the real thing instead - that was one of our favorite parts of MFW history.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs