Making it more Charlotte Mason-y :)

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
bethinga

Making it more Charlotte Mason-y :)

Unread post by bethinga » Tue May 16, 2017 9:14 am

I love the Charlotte Mason method, which is why I chose MFW. It helps me carry out a (mostly) CM style education without much planning on my part.

I know MFW incorporates many elements of CM, like nature study, living books, timeline, etc. I was wondering if we could share tips on how to use MFW in an even more CM way?

For instance, when there are "comprehension questions", like at the end of each Properties of Ecosystems chapters, I skip those and use narration instead.

What other things have you all done to incorporate even more of a CM feel? (I dislike some of the classical elements because it doesn't seem to work well for my kids. That's when I like to tweak things a bit to be more in line with CM ways.)
Beth in GA
Mom to a boy and a girl
Using MFW since 2012

bethinga

Re: Making it more Charlotte Mason-y :)

Unread post by bethinga » Tue May 16, 2017 2:37 pm

Here's a great thread to get us started, by recognizing the CM elements already used in MFW. :)

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15457&p=101755&hili ... on#p101755
Beth in GA
Mom to a boy and a girl
Using MFW since 2012

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue May 16, 2017 10:47 pm

That was a good thread, and I definitely agree with Christy, Jen, and Trish that MFW is twaddle-free and written in Ms. Mason's famous style of structured mornings/unstructured afternoons. I also agree with Lourdes' post about Book Basket, especially because good picture books are not neglected :)

I'd add to the literature actually included in each package, because those books always seemed to have the highest standards of character as well as providing relevant information, and there was often one book each year that stretched my son a little beyond his current ability.

At our house, I must admit that we liked the variety of methods, including the Hebraic/Bible-centered style of Classical and even the occasional textbook-style learning to fill in the blanks and back up the factual-ness of what we were learning.

But a few tweaks we made that lean towards Charlotte Mason might be:

• Emphasizing nature walks before science curriculum in the elementary years, even if our nature walk involved looking out the window sometimes
  • Offering options according to my son's character, as long as learning was actively happening - doing lessons orally when the pencil became an obstacle, creative summaries at the keyboard to process his learning when he preferred that over another type of assignment
  • Enjoying learning alongside my son as much as possible
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

bethinga

Unread post by bethinga » Sat May 20, 2017 9:11 am

I must be oblivious, but here is something from the MFW website I didn't notice before... :)

https://www.mfwbooks.com/wps/portal/c/a ... otte-mason
Beth in GA
Mom to a boy and a girl
Using MFW since 2012

afelton

Unread post by afelton » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:26 pm

How do you all get done by afternoon? We have 5 kiddos. I just can't seem to do it all in the mornings.
Using MFW since 2010.
Wife of Terry since 2002.
M (12) Exp to 1850
H(10) Exp to 1850
E (10) Learning God's Story(recently adopted)
C(8) Exp to 1850
J(6) Learning God's Story

manyblessings

Unread post by manyblessings » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:52 pm

afelton wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:26 pm
How do you all get done by afternoon? We have 5 kiddos. I just can't seem to do it all in the mornings.
I taught my 4 young kids many years ago, and it did seem impossible at times to get it all in. I eventually realized, you can't do every single thing. I don't know if you have already been doing this, but I found it helps to combine all the kids for Bible, Science, and History, using the RTR you have for the oldest kids, and just do the basics (math and language) for each child at their individual levels, using those portions of Learning God's Story and Pre-K. You could even get your younger kids their own RTR activity sheets to use as much or as little as they are able. By next year, your current first grader will be joining the cycle with the older children fully, and then you can have the youngest tag along for the next two years (but using the basics of K and 1st for language and math), until the youngest also joins the cycle. I hope that all made sense :) Also, pick and choose among the hands-on activities-pick your favorites and leave the rest.
Lourdes
Mom of 4 adults, 1 daughter-in-law, 1 son-in-law, 1 in 1st, and
3 in heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, and 9/13/13
Married to my soul mate since 6/20/09
Past: MFW K, ECC, AAAT, VOD, GCA, LGS
2019-2020: ADV