4th grader and 8th grader.....need some help!

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
secondchance

4th grader and 8th grader.....need some help!

Unread post by secondchance » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:33 pm

Hi,
I hs'ed only my dd last school year and we had a great year using MFW-ADV. She loved it! Now my ds who is going into 8th grade is asking to come back home for school. So I had planned to start the 5yr cycle with her, but ds already did that in 3rd grade. He is not sure he wants to do that again. I read in the archives here that ds really wouldn't be ready for MFW HS curriculum until 9th gr. I'm trying to decide if I should jump to another year in the 5yr cycle for both of them, or just stick with ECC and try to get him on board with that. (I don't really want to mess up the 5yr cycle for dd.)

I am trying to give him a say in some of the decisions of his schoolwork, perhaps I could let him help choose his English, foreign lang, and math curriculum instead. I will not do 2 different years in the cycle. Spiritual development is the most important thing of all in my mind. Just a side note, he hasn't had much in the way of US History.

Trying to decide what's best for all. My choice would be ECC. But I'm willing to let him go off the MFW grid and do something different for 8th grade before bringing him back into the MFW-high school cycle. Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone!
Sincerely,
Deborah in PA

manyblessings

Re: 4th grader and 8th grader.....need some help!

Unread post by manyblessings » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:52 pm

I agree with your choice for doing ECC. A child (like your son) who starts the 5 year cycle with ECC in 3rd grade will normally repeat ECC as an 8th grader. It will be different, your 8th grader will be doing all the "advanced" assignments in the teacher's manual. Of course, there is also the 7th-8th grade supplement pack that he is required to do as well. Finally, with science, math, and language arts/reading at his own grade level and more independent, he will get a good preparation for entering the high school cycle next year.
Lourdes
Mom of 4 adults, 1 daughter-in-law, 1 son-in-law, 1 in 1st, and
3 in heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, and 9/13/13
Married to my soul mate since 6/20/09
Past: MFW K, ECC, AAAT, VOD, GCA, LGS
2019-2020: ADV

Julie - Staff

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:02 pm

i agree with Lourdes - ECC was a very different year when my son did it in 3rd grade (fairy tales, dress-up, nature walks) vs. 8th grade (country reports, digging into details like population comparisons, research in Exploring World Geo). I posted some of the things he enjoyed digging into in 8th on the ECC Ideas board, such as China: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=154&p=62590#p62590 Plus, as Lourdes also mentioned, my son was busy getting used to middle school math, science, grammar, writing, etc.

In addition, doing ECC again allowed a bit of time to do a couple of "electives" that he wouldn't have time to do in high school, like shop class with dad.

If you absolutely can't get him on board, and if he will be impressed by a challenge (and won't end up balking at a busy history year), and if your youngest did some of ECC with you the last time, then I might consider doing 1850 to Modern Times this year, and then starting your youngest in the cycle with ECC next year. That's just based on experience with a kid or two who was difficult to school at times :( But really, I think ECC would be a great plan :)

Julie

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:52 am

Hi, Deborah,

I'm so glad your son will be homeschooling w/ you, too! It will be such a blessing to hear how your family has grown closer by the end of this year!

I agree with Lourdes & Julie. For a few more reasons... first, for spiritual development, I think ECC may be the most beneficial of the 5-year cycle. Next, ECC with its history of each continent would possibly give him a stronger preparation for the high school level, esp. if he continues homeschooling.

The advanced assignments in ECC for 7th/8th graders are really a challenge (a good challenge) :), and I think he'll enjoy doing more advanced work than his little sister.

If he doesn't mind reading, I highly recommend the advanced books ("I Dared to Call Him Father", "Bruchko" and - above all Brother Andrew's autobiography "The Narrow Road"(!)).

Also ... if this is helpful - Sarah Malley has a book, "Making Brothers & Sisters Best Friends." It might be great to assign son/daughter to take turns reading it aloud together while you make lunch. You'll be amazed how after just the first three or so chapters they begin to serve one another instead of demand their rights. {It's good for us to hear, too!}

Praying the Lord blesses you all with Joy & laughter as you school together this year!

Enjoy!
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

secondchance

Unread post by secondchance » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:53 pm

Thank you all for your responses. It is very helpful and affirming that I am headed in the right direction with him. Although he is not so sure that is the best course of action, he knows that we will plan a good course for him. Now I just need to figure out what is best for him for Language Arts, Science and math. I plan to mostly stick with MFW suggestions, I have to figure out which science is best General Science or Physical Science, and which writing course is best for him. He is pretty self-motivated and wants a challenging course of study. He plans to be some sort of builder, architect or engineer, he is not sure which, but it is what he has talked about since he was very small. So I am trying to do my best to steer him in the right direction.

He also has always been interested in History and is a decent writer and thinker. He loves a challenge. He's my debater/arguer! Which I know means that he's very bright. He is always talking and looking for a bit of a debate! haha!

I welcome any suggestions for science. I own the General Science book, but he looked at it and said that he thinks he already studied most of that (I think he did). So I was thinking Physical Science. (Apologia)

Thanks again everyone! I may be back to ask for more help.
Deborah in Pennsylvania

manyblessings

Unread post by manyblessings » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:04 pm

Yes, the Physical Science is the usual 8th grade recommendation-especially if he already studied the topics in General Science. Apologia is definitely challenging. I would also say that MFW's language arts recommendations for 8th grade (Two Progeny Press literature guides, Spelling Power (if needed) Writing with Skill Level 1 (second half of book), Collegiate Thesaurus, Easy Grammar Ultimate Series: Grade 8, WORLDteen magazine) are also challenging and will prepare him well for high school level work. If you choose Saxon Math, have him take the placement test to make sure which level to use with him. Wishing you the best for a great school year :)
Lourdes
Mom of 4 adults, 1 daughter-in-law, 1 son-in-law, 1 in 1st, and
3 in heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, and 9/13/13
Married to my soul mate since 6/20/09
Past: MFW K, ECC, AAAT, VOD, GCA, LGS
2019-2020: ADV

secondchance

Unread post by secondchance » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:18 pm

Thanks for your recommendations. I feel like I'm definitely in uncharted territory (for me.... This upper level stuff is all new to me).

I do plan to do Saxon math for sure. So we'll do the placement test. He's always done pretty well in math.

Looks like this is going to be an interesting year. 😜
Deborah

secondchance

Unread post by secondchance » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:37 pm

Should I do the whole book of WWE, since he didn't do the first half last year? Or should I just try to get through as much of the book as possible in one year?

Just curious. I really want him to aquire good writing skills. He is already on his way, but wanting that to continue.
Thank you soo much everyone, for all the suggestions and advice.

Debbie :)
Mom of 5 - 19,18,16,13, & 9

Julie - Staff

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:23 pm

There is some info on the website about just this situation. It can be a bit hard to locate amidst all of the different language arts information, for all the families in different situations, but it is on the Language Arts page under the FAQ: https://www.mfwbooks.com/products/21/Language-Arts/
How do I begin Writing with Skill with an 8th Grader?
My Father's World schedules two lessons a week in Writing with Skill Level 1 to be completed during 7th and 8th grade. For an 8th grader who is beginning WWS, we recommend completing as much of the book as possible. Consider adding one additional writing day to complete more lessons by the end of the year. By following this general guideline, you should be able to complete more than half the book. If you would like more specific recommendations for beginning Writing with Skill Level 1 with an 8th grader, see below.

The author of Writing with Skill recommends the following:

You may progress more quickly through any assignments the student finds easy, skipping steps that seem unnecessary. Your goal is to familiarize the student with the topics taught and with the skills covered in the exercises.

1. Have the student read the General Instructions, the Overview for Weeks 1-3, and the Overview for Weeks 4-15 carefully.

2. Have the student complete the narration exercises in Day 1 of Week 14 and Day 1 of Week 15. If the student can do this without too much difficulty, you may skip all of Week 1 as well as Day 1 exercises in Weeks 3-13. If the student struggles, do not skip these exercises.

3. Have the student complete the outlining exercises in Day 2 of Weeks 14 and 15. If the student can do this without difficulty, you may skip Week 2, and Day 3 of Week 3. The other outlining exercises serve as models for the topics being taught and should be completed.

My Father’s World adds the following recommendations for those following our language arts recommendations and planning to continue in high school:

1. Writing Strands Level 4 does not need to be completed before beginning Writing with Skill. If completed, you may skip Weeks 8 and 9, but discuss the Space and Distance Words/Phrases for descriptions found in Appendix I of the Student Journal (p.488) and complete week 10.

2. If you are using Progeny Press literature guides which provide similar lessons, you may skip Part IV: Beginning Literary Criticism: Prose, but read the overview together. Additional literary analyses will be a focus in MFW high school especially in years 2 and 3.

3. MFW high school includes two formal opportunities for large research projects in years 2 and 4, so you may skip Part V: Research, but read the overview and complete Weeks 30 and 31: Writing from Notes. Note taking is a valuable study skill for high school and beyond.

4. If your child completed Language Lessons for Today poetry lessons, you may skip most or all of Part VI: Beginning Literary Criticism: Poetry. Poetry will be studied in MFW high school. (If you have boys, consider completing Week 34, "Charge of the Light Brigade." Several of the poetry concepts from this section could be explored orally including younger members of the family.)