Continue w/ VOD or begin MFWK?

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
Missy OH

Continue w/ VOD or begin MFWK?

Unread post by Missy OH » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:41 pm

My dd will be 6 at the end of dec. We only completed about 10 weeks of VOD last year and she still isn't recognizing her letters. I am trying to decide if I want to finish up VOD and then start MFWK after her birthday. She will be my sixth child that I've taught to read w/ MFW. She has really no interest in math or letters! She has quite a few speech (articulation) delays and we are going to therapy. Anyone want to weigh in on this? I think I want someone to tell me it is ok not start MFWK until later...or maybe not.

manyblessings

Re: Continue w/ VOD or begin MFWK?

Unread post by manyblessings » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:50 pm

I think it is okay to continue with VOD, if VOD is where you believe she will thrive. Perhaps her doctor or therapist can weigh in on that? (As long as they are supportive of homeschooling).
Lourdes
Mom of 4 adults, 1 daughter-in-law, 1 son-in-law, 1 in 1st, and
3 in heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, and 9/13/13
Married to my soul mate since 6/20/09
Past: MFW K, ECC, AAAT, VOD, GCA, LGS
2019-2020: ADV

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:55 pm

Hi, Missy ~

Yes, agreeing with Lourdes. I think you should trust your gut, Momma {you know what you're doing! :) }, and continue VOD until you see she's ready to ease into K.

We had these same issues with our youngest daughter, and she is reading wonderfully today!

Enjoy!
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

Missy OH

Unread post by Missy OH » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:10 pm

Thanks! I have decided to go ahead and finish VOD w/ her. We will finish up by Nov. so I will do MFWK creation weeks and the new Christmas study while doing lots of review of letters. I'm sure by then she will be ready.