Nature Study placement?

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
bethinga

Nature Study placement?

Unread post by bethinga »

Hi! I was super excited to have finally found a way to do nature study that my kids enjoy, but my new CTG manual doesn't schedule it in as ECC and previous years did. Where would you all suggest we place it? Obviously a lighter afternoon is required, and some weeks Science is only done on Mon & Thurs, leaving Wed a good choice (as it was scheduled in ECC). But not all weeks are that light on Science. Suggestions?
Beth in GA
Mom to a boy and a girl
Using MFW since 2012
Julie - Staff

Re: Nature Study placement?

Unread post by Julie - Staff »

Not sure if Friday is an option for you? There is a paragraph in the front of the CTG Teacher's Manual (under Teaching Tips / Science) about Nature Walks, and it mentions Fridays as a possibility. Fridays are typically light, as long as you don't have outside activities planned for that day. (Well, if the outside activity is a Synergy group, then you have one of the science activities from the week taken care of, leaving a spot in your schedule for nature walks.)

The other thing we did that freed up time during CTG was read the Bible (and sometimes celebrate the feasts) as a family in the evening. That lightened our days and made space for extras like nature walks.

Hoping to hear other nature walk experiences!
Julie
joyfulmom

Unread post by joyfulmom »

Hi -

You wrote: "I was super excited to have finally found a way to do nature study that my kids enjoy"

I have always struggled with nature studies - can you share what you are doing?

Thanks
Lori

2016-2017 1st, 1850-Mod, Ancient History & Lit, 1877 to present
2015-2016 K, Exp to 1850, US history to 1877
2014-2015 RTR, World History
2013-2014 1st, CTG, Ancient History
2012-2013 K, ECC
bethinga

Thanks! I had to choose days other than Fridays, so I picked mostly Wednesdays (or any day that we're not doing science). I went ahead and wrote it in so I won't neglect to do it.
Last edited by bethinga on Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beth in GA
Mom to a boy and a girl
Using MFW since 2012
bethinga

joyfulmom wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:43 am
Hi -

You wrote: "I was super excited to have finally found a way to do nature study that my kids enjoy"

Thanks
I don't know if it will work yet, but we'll see. When we studied Japan in ECC, I got them excited about writing a nature haiku by telling them we were going outside after breakfast to creep around quietly so we could see the bees on the flowers and the birds gathering food. We tip-toed around trying to observe things we don't normally see at mid-day. We found a bird nest, a mockingbird carrying sticks, and a robin getting worms. We saw lots of bees dusted in pollen inside the flowers. We spread a blanket under a tree to write our haikus and draw. We took our time, no rush. When they messed up, I reminded them they had time to fix it or start over.

We ended up with beautiful haikus and drawings, and even learned a few new things. We looked up bird eggs to identify the type of bird that built the nest. We looked up bees so we could draw them better without getting too close. They raved about what a fun morning we had and said we should do that everyday!

So, this school year, I thought we'd do nature study right after breakfast, instead of mid-day. We can creep around quietly like before, trying to observe things we don't normally see at mid-day. Then we can do our drawings and research on a blanket under the tree again.

Once a week should help break up the monotony of doing the same thing every morning; and doing it FIRST, before other work, might make them more excited. I selected days we're not doing science, so we should be able to take our time without getting behind.

Taking Marie's suggestion, we used clipboards and simple white paper, or watercolor paper. We brought out our caddy of pencils, erasers, watercolor pencils, and markers. (And can't forget the electric pencil sharpener!)

I hope it goes well and becomes a habit. They like to go on hikes, but I've always had trouble getting them excited to do "nature study" (write or draw their observations).
Beth in GA
Mom to a boy and a girl
Using MFW since 2012
bethinga

bethinga wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:04 pm
joyfulmom wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:43 am
Hi -

Thanks
I don't know if it will work yet, but we'll see. When we studied Japan in ECC, I got them excited about writing a nature haiku by telling them we were going outside after breakfast to creep around quietly so we could see the bees on the flowers and the birds gathering food. We tip-toed around trying to observe things we don't normally see at mid-day. We found a bird nest, a mockingbird carrying sticks, and a robin getting worms. We saw lots of bees dusted in pollen inside the flowers. We spread a blanket under a tree to write our haikus and draw. We took our time, no rush. When they messed up, I reminded them they had time to fix it or start over.

We ended up with beautiful haikus and drawings, and even learned a few new things. We looked up bird eggs to identify the type of bird that built the nest. We looked up bees so we could draw them better without getting too close. They raved about what a fun morning we had and said we should do that everyday!

So, this school year, I thought we'd do nature study right after breakfast, instead of mid-day. We can creep around quietly like before, trying to observe things we don't normally see at mid-day. Then we can do our drawings and research on a blanket under the tree again.

Once a week should help break up the monotony of doing the same thing every morning; and doing it FIRST, before other work, might make them more excited. I selected days we're not doing science, so we should be able to take our time without getting behind.

Taking Marie's suggestion, we used clipboards and simple white paper, or watercolor paper. We brought out our caddy of pencils, erasers, watercolor pencils, and markers. (And can't forget the electric pencil sharpener!)

I hope it goes well and becomes a habit. They like to go on hikes, but I've always had trouble getting them excited to do "nature study" (write or draw their observations).
I meant to add, one very important difference, besides time of day, is that I did the activity with them. I had things in mind to look for, I also brought a clipboard and drew pictures, and I had my own curious questions to research. My participation seemed contagious.
Beth in GA
Mom to a boy and a girl
Using MFW since 2012