Questions on writing curriculum

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
secondchance

Questions on writing curriculum

Unread post by secondchance » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:02 pm

Hi all,
This msg board has been most helpful, so I am back with more questions, this time regarding writing for my 4th and 8th graders.

I keep coming back to why we wanted to home school in the first place. Of course the spiritual aspect is first, but part of that is looking to simplify life and have more together time, less stress from the whole school routine and heavy homework loads.

So I have to ask myself, is taking on another curriculum that I have to be responsible to teach the way to go for our family? I have given serious consideration to IEW as a writing curriculum for my 4th grader and 8th grader, but I keep thinking that with ILL for my 4th grader, I see that they DO indeed teach dictation, narration, outlining and composition. Update: (BTW, I do not do the LLFT, I have continued to use ILL for my kids. I found a downloadable version from Cynthia Albright that makes it more like a workbook and it makes the curriculum more independent bc I don't have to read everything to the child. Dd loves the binder I printed out just for her.) Also we will begin Writing Strands 3 with my 4th grader.

For my 8th grader, the WWE (SWB curriculum) looks very thorough, and mostly independent.

The last thing I want to do is graduate a kid who doesn't have good writing skills, so I guess that weighs heavily on my mind and heart. I feel very responsible to do this thing right. I guess I feel some pressure to not screw this up. I think I ALWAYS worry that what I'm doing is not enough. Our ps is a very big deal around here and it is actually one of the top high schools in the country, and yep....we just pulled our 13yo out (and I am asking the Lord to give me the strength to hs him and his sister through high school). I mean, who do I think I am that I can pull this off?

I know many have gone before me, but I am actually nervous and don't want to let them down. Our 13yo has plans for college, he has always wanted to be a "builder" in his own words, and now he is researching what that could possibly lead to as a career.

I thought of doing the SWB curriculum for my 4th grader, but it looks like an everyday thing, and that is a lot on top of everything else we're doing. Not that we have added in a ton....really only a foreign language, but with hs'ing two and having another in said ps....well, our plate is pretty full family-wise for this coming school year. So far I have resisted the urge to sign him up for a co-op. I don't want to be burned out by Christmas. My kids are most excited about our relaxed life now, and I don't want to take that away from them. They actually love being home!

Any advice or words or confirmation that we are doing this the right way, and my kids WILL indeed learn to be good writers with the plan that MFW has mapped out?

Any any prayers appreciated. You guys are a great and helpful community.
Thanks,
Debbie
Mom of 5 - 19,18,16, 13 & 9.
Last edited by secondchance on Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

secondchance

Re: Questions on writing curriculum

Unread post by secondchance » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:39 pm

Also, do I need the Instructor book for WWE? Just curious to see what anyone else has done.
Thanks all,
Debbie :)

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:32 pm

So, my oldest started MFW in 3rd grade. We did Writing Strands starting in 4th. We took a detour in 7th and 8th and did Essentials in Writing (she is dyslexic, and needed more step-by-step explanation). Then we did MFW for 9-11th. This summer she passed her College Composition CLEP - which included writing 2 essays... So yes, MFW recommendations and methodology does work!

My younger two (up coming 8th graders) are doing the Writing With Skill. I really like it! I think it is very helpful, step-by-step. I know some people continue with WWS in high school. So, yes, it does work!
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:32 pm

And yes, get the Teacher's Guide for WWS.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog