Thankfulness and Reminiscing

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
amana_seeker

Thankfulness and Reminiscing

Unread post by amana_seeker » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:06 am

I haven't posted on this board since 2009. It's been a while. Prior to 2010, I used MFW K, Adv, ECC, CtG, with my 4 boys.

Then in 2010, we took a different path, and started attending a weekly co-op, and while there concurrently covered RtR and 1850+. This year we are back to MFW, using ECC, and I'm in the process of starting a geography club (the whole synergy thing is new to me, but maybe that will happen also).

As I was looking back at my posts and people's replies, esp. when I was grappling with being chronically behind (viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4481&sid=d557c66d2 ... 5&start=25), I felt SO grateful that because of homeschooling, I have all these sweet memories of the time with my children, and esp. my oldest.

My oldest son, who was 16, died in an accident last month. As I have looked through the thousands of photos on my computer, I was so amazed at how many fun things we did together, and what a broad experience he received. I'm so glad he wasn't in public school, or even private, where I would have missed all those moments of awe and discovery!

For the record, back in 2009, I complained on this board about being behind, and was worried about 'catching up' or 'fitting it all in'. Fast forward 8 years, and by age 16, my young man was not behind at all, in spite of his dyslexia. Oh, except the spelling. He was atrocious at spelling, but he would tell me that CEO's have staff to correct their spelling. :-) He attended a homeschool co-op 3 days a week that required standardized testing, and he tested at college level in all subjects. I don't regret for one minute all the days we took off of 'school' so that we could go to the park and draw ducks and turtles, or other outings. This season of life is so short, and so precious. And all those 'non-school' activities were broadening and educational in a different way. In retrospect, all the advice I received on this board in regards to my concern was spot-on - I wish I could print and share it with every homeschool mom!

I'm excited to be back here, and to be doing MFW again. I chose to do ECC this year because it was my favorite year ever, and my younger two boys (now 12 and 9) were too young to get much last time. It will be interesting, because I'm also working full-time (realtor) and my husband has closed his business to stay home and homeschool the boys. But my heart is here with my children... It's a challenging time.

allgrace

Re: Thankfulness and Reminiscing

Unread post by allgrace » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:56 am

I am sorry to hear about your son. I pray God will comfort you and your family. Thank you for sharing. My kids are young and I have been worried about being behind, doing enough, and spending time with my kids. Your experience is really helpful for me. Thanks again for sharing, I know it was probably hard.
"Sanctify them by the Truth, your word is Truth" John 17:17
Ds11:RTR
Dd8:RTR
Dd6: MFW K
Ds 4: VOD
Ds. 2: being very active😜

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:31 pm

What a wonderful post of encouragement as homeschoolers get ready for the new school year.

Thank you for sharing your journey, both the pain and the joy. I kind of have your experience in reverse - I look back and am glad my son (still living) had experiences at home with his dad (no longer with us).

There are several experienced homeschool dads on staff -- or married to staff -- in the office, so let your husband know he can reach out to those resources if needed as he jumps into this new venture.

And what a great idea to start a geography club! The ECC Synergy guide might be helpful in generating ideas, too. My youngest was in a boys book club and somehow that added a nice spoonful of motivation at times :)
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

bethinga

Unread post by bethinga » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:11 pm

I'm so sorry you have lost your precious son on this earth. I pray you'll be comforted by the hope of heaven and the tenderness of memories. Thank you so much for the reminder that the academics aren't always the important thing. I think we all need that reminder sometimes. Making memories is what it's all about.
Last edited by bethinga on Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beth in GA
Mom to a boy and a girl
Using MFW since 2012

bethinga

Unread post by bethinga » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:39 pm

Reading over your 2009 post (shared above), I'm inspired by the way you did school! It also makes me feel less "guilty" about the way we do it. I'm going to try to worry less this year about "getting behind". In fact, I've planned out our breaks based on when we naturally needed breaks this last school year. I also plan to stop school at a certain time each day no matter where we are (unless we don't want to yet) so there's more of that wonderful free-play.

This past school year there was a tragic death in our family (not an immediate family member, but heartbreaking to me, my mother, and my grandmother especially). My grandmother has also been in not-so-great health. I'm so thankful for the time we've spent with her, cheering her up, visiting, laughing together. We even had fun painting a beautiful mailbox for her that opens on both sides so she doesn't have to walk so close to the road. I wouldn't trade those memories for anything. We never really know how long we have with our loved ones.

Thank you, again, for posting from your heart. I hope it will prompt other homeschooling parents to focus on memories more than to-do lists.
Beth in GA
Mom to a boy and a girl
Using MFW since 2012