AHL & math questions

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
asheslawson

AHL & math questions

Unread post by asheslawson » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:13 pm

Hello,

I've been out of touch for a while and it has been a little frustrating. Partly because I had all the pieces to the 5 yr cycle, and I'm cycling back through with my 7th grader this year. My oldest at home is about to be a junior, and we have had some very frustrating high school years - because of finances.

We were not able to afford the high school at all, which was disappointing since we did he started with ECC in 4th and completed 1850-MOD, in 8th. He loved it and did well. However, for the past 2 years, we did some free stuff and borrowed stuff to get done what we could. He actually was able to take his US History I CLEP, and he isn't behind on credits, but he hasn't enjoyed his work, like he did before.

However, after much prayer, my friend called and said she had AHL and US History to 1877, with most of the books contained and sold them to me for a very good price. US History to 1877 is missing a few items, but for AHL I am only missing the timeline figures and the Ancient Literature Supplement, but other than that, I have all I need for AHL.

Since we were able to cover some of US History already, but it's his junior year, I plan to go ahead and use AHL for his junior year. Depending on finances next year, I'll either purchase WHL or I'll just have him do US History to 18777. I'll hopefully be able to grab the Ancient Lit supplement and my daughter's student sheets for RTR in the next week.

SO....questions, since I feel so out of loop for him. He struggled in math quite a bit, so we slowed way down, and he finally got a better understanding of Alg I, and has just finished it his sophomore year. It has never been an easy subject for him, so after Saxon 87, we did Alg 1/2, then he was still having a tough time, so we tried Video Text Interactive, which was not at all helpful. Finally, we found Saxon Teacher CD's, and maybe coupled with maturity, he really improved in Alg. I, this year. What on earth should I do about Geometry or Alg II, right now??

I am considering, since he's finally grasping it, having him do Alg. II, this year, and geometry his senior year. He seems to learn much the way I did, and Algebra was significantly harder for me, while geometry was so easy. I'm considering doing them out of the norm sequence to help him have a bit of an easier year for his senior year. However, continued maturity, might make it easier to follow a traditional plan of geometry this year and Alg II, next.

Thoughts on this? My daughter is so much easier to teach in math and just seems to grasp it so much easier, while my son has just always struggled so much with it. I really don't want to do any more jumping around since he's only got 2 years now, so I would like to avoid adding frustration for him!

Thank you!
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

Julie - Staff

Re: AHL & math questions

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:09 pm

I think your plan to avoid frustration is reasonable. He's spent a long time on Algebra now, and maybe it's best for him to just keep on going.

This is actually a topic of discussion for teachers all over. I remember discussing it in the past and coming up with some reasons why it seems the current order of high school math was chosen. It looks like the article I linked is still online, and my summary might be good enough to help with your thought process, as well:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11451&p=100999#p100999

Julie

asheslawson

Re: AHL & math questions

Unread post by asheslawson » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:15 am

Thank you Julie! That does help. I'm really relieved because he's excited about this year. He's missed the way mfw is laid out and he's really missed learning from good materials!
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/