Math curriculum help please!

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
titus2momof4

Math curriculum help please!

Unread post by titus2momof4 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:31 am

Hi to all MFW peeps! I am new to the board. I need some help please from anyone who can help give me some peace on this decision. I am starting Adventures with my 2nd grader this year. So happy to have found MFW, I just regret not using it for K and first grade. I am seeing that Singapore math is recommended. We have been using math u see and my daughter is doing well and loves it. I have read on the board some about why Singapore is recommended. I just don't know what to do about which to use for my daughter. If I switched, I am seeing that this is a perfect time as this is the first year for Singapore in MFW. So that is a positive. I have never seen or heard about Singapore math, so it is new territory. I just don't know what to do. Please give me any advice as I need to decide soon so we can start school.

Julie in MN

Re: Math curriculum help please!

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:53 am

Hello!

I hope you saw your replies on the other thread, here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15761 I'ts a crazy time of year for homeschool families, I know :)

I don't usually share this because it's not what many families can or should do, but we used Singapore Math and some years I also got MUS as an extra. These were the reasons it worked for us, I think:

1. My boys were very mathy, and we did lots of math extras. Youngest was on a little math team. So we liked math extras.

2. But sometimes mathy kids get ahead of themselves and need to slow down for a bit or take a break. MUS was a break for us at times.

3. This was my youngest, and I was unlikely to over-do the way I would have with my oldest.

4. We enjoyed adding audiovisuals to get some liveliness back into our suddenly-quiet house (older siblings were in college and high school). I know the MUS videos are meant for parents, but I think in most families the kids watch them too.

5. He wasn't confused by not staying with MUS all the way through. As I recall, MUS had kids practicing stacked multiplication problems for an entire year, and we could stop and start without being lost.

To be honest, I think MUS is just fine for the basics but my son was solving MUS word problems without reading them, since you just needed to locate the two numbers and multiply them (if you were doing the MUS year on multiplication). Singapore Math helps kids see word problems concretely, draw out bar diagrams and the like if needed, and figure out what exactly they already know and what part they need to find out. That's real life - both for mathy and non-mathy kids. That's why I personally would want to have Singapore on board, at least as an extra. In fact, I just bought some sets for my grandson, who is already getting math in public school :)
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs