Help, switching from Abeka/BJU to MFW

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
sandlaw0

Help, switching from Abeka/BJU to MFW

Unread post by sandlaw0 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:32 pm

I have 5th grader homeschooling for the first time. On his yearly testing, he tested 9th grade level in almost everything but history/geography and math, which the previous year he did really well. I think he was just really tired on that testing day. He has a processing order, so he goes slow. Math and writing is very painful. Abeka and BJU were moving so fast. He did great on tests, but was struggling with all of the names and dates. Thought he would do great with a more hands on approach. We have spent two weeks doing Exploring Countries and Cultures. So far, we both feel like it is what he has done in first or second grade. As far as geography, the first two weeks in MFW seem to be the appendix in the abeka history book. I think he is getting bored. I don't know how to find middle ground. 7th and 8th grade curriculum, while it would be more challenging, would not work because it seems like it is just more writing. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

TriciaMR

Re: Help, switching from Abeka/BJU to MFW

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:45 pm

It is great that your son has covered those first two weeks before! That will come in handy.

In ECC, it takes most people until about week 5 to find your "groove" - where you find your rhythm of your subjects.

First, are you utilizing the book basket? Several of the recommended books have extra hands on stuff you could do.

Second, MFW is meant to be gentle - it is a Charlotte Mason approach. I would spend more time on working on his writing since the geography portion seems easy right now.

Third, are you doing typing, music (like an instrument or voice), foreign language,sports and/or community service?

School doesn't have to be 8 hours a day. I find 4-5 hours enough until 7th and 8th grade.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

sandlaw0

Unread post by sandlaw0 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:01 pm

Maybe some of what we are dealing with is deschooling. I know my kid is learning when we aren't doing book work, but it doesn't feel "right". It is just hard to find the balance of challenging him and letting him being a kid....which is what I consider MFW. Or maybe I am having a hard time letting go of the way we used to learn. Maybe I am afraid that he will fall behind. A couple days in Abeka/Bju seems to be 2 weeks in MFW. BUT he didn't get the family time, art time, hands on activities, etc. last year. And now he is PEACEFUL. I feel like this is what God wants us to do, just need to find a good balance between what we were used to and what we are doing. It makes me feel better that you feel like 5 weeks is the magic number, maybe we just need more time.
He will be starting soccer this week. He does community service at church on Sundays...I want to do something during the week....but I don't know what is available for a 10 year old.
I am planning on starting book baskets this week, thanks for the encouragement to include them! I plan on adding typing back into the schedule soon. He was doing that a little bit last school year. Typing stories is easier than writing them out by hand, so it is important that he gains this skill this year.
As far as writing, in a couple weeks, I plan on adding notebooks. We go out of town quite a bit and I thought that would be a great way to get him to draw and write a bit more. I am hoping that by the end of 5th grade I can get his confidence up to start writing papers on his own.

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:12 pm

Just to encourage you, we switched from Abeka to MFW when my oldest was in 3rd. It does take a bit of getting used to that doing notebook pages is more learning efficient than worksheets. My daughter is now a 12th grader, and taking classes at the community college this fall and will graduate in December. Trust the method of MFW. It does work. The load will gradually increase through middle school and high school is definitely college prep. He won't be behind.

{Hugs} to you on your journey!
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog