Thinking ahead: CtG and K

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
Guatejen

Thinking ahead: CtG and K

Unread post by Guatejen » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:52 pm

I'm starting to think ahead to how I'm going to tweak things next year. In CtG I'll have a 4th grader and a 2nd grader, and in K I'll have a 5 year old, a 4 year old, and a tag along 2.5 year old (and a baby who will be about 8 months old at the beginning of the school year).

Since the majority of my crew are "littles," I really like the idea of doing the "full" K for them to enjoy. But in order to have enough TIME to fit everything in, I'll need to cut back some on CtG.

What would you cut out/ignore/tweak from CtG for a bunch of littles like mine? So far I've been told Streams might be too intense...and I'm considering dropping the art and read alouds (since we'll be reading a ton with K, and perhaps my oldest can read the read alouds on his own)...

Thoughts?

Julie - Staff

Re: Thinking ahead: CtG and K

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:48 pm

I'll start the brainstorming. Here are a couple of things that come to my mind.

1. Doing the Bible reading in CTG together as a family in the evening takes some of the pressure off during the school day. It's special to have the whole family reading the Bible together, and that might also get the littles on board with two parents directing traffic. It's also a lot of fun when some of the hands-on experiences come up, like building a booth for the feast or reenacting the 10 plagues where the kids put the spots on dad.

2. Read-alouds are optional but can be nice to do at bedtime. The Patricia St. John read-alouds in CTG don't connect to history, although they make for great conversation on faith and character.

3. Streams can be read by the parent and just briefly summarized. At my house it was nice to have just a little reinforcement from Streams, showing that the civilizations described in the Bible are true, real, and historical.

4. The Children's Homer is the other challenge book this year. I'm not sure a 4th grader could read it on his own. Summarizing it might be possible. It is a study in the rise and fall of powerful leaders, and having at least one slightly challenging book I think can help our older students take a step up.

5. The art and music are optional. I thought I'd mention that each includes two things, and you could do one or the other, both or neither. Art includes art instruction and art history. Music includes listening to classical music (music appreciation) and listening/summarizing composer biographies.

Here is a past thread that might have some more thinking points:
Help choosing priorities: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2768

Enjoy! CTG was a favorite of ours,
Julie