Using Drawing with Children

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
carmel1217

Using Drawing with Children

Unread post by carmel1217 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:19 pm

Hi!
I am wondering if anybody has any helpful suggestions for using Drawing with Children (first grade curriculum)? I find it to be not exactly user friendly, and very time consuming. Are you just supposed to create a master copy of empty white squares yourself? And for the exercises, am I understanding correctly that the teacher is supposed to create exercises for the student? Does anybody have any helpful advice for using this book? I am so not an artist, and I have to reread the instructions multiple times to even understand what I am supposed to get my six-year-old to do. I was pretty frustrated with it so decided maybe I should just use some other drawing book that I find less frustrating and more enjoyable, but then every time I see it referenced in the curriculum, I doubt myself and think maybe I should just keep trying it! Any tips or suggestions appreciated!

Thank you!!

Rachel

Julie - Staff

Re: Using Drawing with Children

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:20 pm

Hi Rachel,

Hugs for the start of the year! Feel free to call the office and talk through these lessons.

Meanwhile, some thoughts about your specific questions:

1. I am not sure what week you are on, but Drawing With Children (DWC) does have some optional reading at the beginning of the year, which you can skip if you are feeling bogged down. For example, the Notes for Week 2 / Thursday say, "If you are short on time, then just go straight to the lesson."

2. As for creating a master copy, there are days when you are to make a copy of a page from the DWC book. I am not sure if that is what you mean? For example, the notes for Week 3 / Tuesday explain that students work on a photocopy of pages 44-45 from the DWC book.

3. As for the teacher creating lessons, maybe you can give a specific example, so someone can help you see how that lesson has gone for them?

And then, some more general thoughts to get you started:

1. DWC is designed to relax children about "art," showing them that there is no one perfect way to "do art." While you wait for more replies, you might read through this archived thread to get an idea of how other families have looked at the program: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5094&p=11135#p11135

2. The drawing lessons are scheduled once or twice a week for the first 14 weeks of the year. These lessons are helpful in preparing students to complete their Bible Notebooks. For the remainder of the year, students will put their drawing skills into practice when creating their Bible Notebooks, and your "art lessons" will move on to using Enjoying Art Together for art appreciation.

Does that help at all?
Julie

allgrace

Unread post by allgrace » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:47 pm

Hi,
I actually needed a simpler art book to use. I found a book about drawing animals for young kids and used that. It was simple but allowed me to actually incorpate art into our days
"Sanctify them by the Truth, your word is Truth" John 17:17
Ds10: CTG
Dd7:MFW 1st
Dd5: MFW K
Ds 3: AAAT
Ds. 1: being very active😜

carmel1217

Unread post by carmel1217 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:27 pm

Thank you for the replies ladies.

Julie, thanks for your response, and I wanted to answer your questions about my questions. ;)
On page 66 of Drawing With Children, under "The Duplication Warm-up", it says to make yourself a master copy of blank squares. Do I create this master copy myself? And then further down, it states I am supposed to make up "duplication warm-ups" and "matching warm-up" on these copies of blank squares (I think at this point I am getting overwhelmed because I am completely unfamiliar with all of this and still don't know where to get the master copy of blank squares.)? Perhaps I am making this too hard...

Thanks for your help!

Rachel

Julie - Staff

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:47 pm

carmel1217 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:27 pm
On page 66 of Drawing With Children, under "The Duplication Warm-up", it says to make yourself a master copy of blank squares. Do I create this master copy myself? And then further down, it states I am supposed to make up "duplication warm-ups" and "matching warm-up" on these copies of blank squares
Hi Rachel :)
Thanks for clarifying.

I'm looking at the assignments for Week 6. In the notes for Tuesday, it says, "Optional (preparation for next lesson): Read The Duplication Warm-up and Matching Warm-up, pages 66-67, and prepare papers as directed. This optional activity is scheduled for Thursday." Then on Thurs., it again says pages 66-67 are optional.

It sounds like this is the assignment that is tripping you up. So, I'd skip this if it's confusing. The point of Drawing With Children is that art doesn't have to be done in a specific way, and it sounds like this particular assignment is producing the opposite results at your house. I know that Marie often skips assignments that didn't work for her family or pilot families for one reason or another (too time-consuming, too many materials required, etc.), or she makes them optional just for families who want to make full use of their materials. So don't feel bad when you skip something that is marked "optional."

However, if you are interested in the assignment, then feel free to call the office (M-F, 8-5), where they can open up the book while you are on the phone and talk you through the assignment. I wish I had mine handy this evening, but I don't :)

Really it's optional, and it's overwhelming you, which defeats the purpose of Drawing With Children, so I vote for skipping it!
Julie

carmel1217

Unread post by carmel1217 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:45 am

Thanks Julie! That’s helpful! :)

Rachel