Getting to use Adventures again-yay!!

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
lovekids83

Getting to use Adventures again-yay!!

Unread post by lovekids83 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:49 pm

Hi everyone,

I used Adventures with my oldest and few sweet extra students that I homeschooled back several years ago (he was 6 then and he just turned 14-lol). I loved that year immensely, so I decided to do it with my "middles" this year as there ages fit it perfectly (6 year old girl who reads and writes very well and has completed phonics, 8 year old boy who just started reading chapter books, and 12 year old who justs wants to tag along for the fun- but she is already doing Notgrass America the Beautiful and Abeka Science during her independent studies). I am so excited to begin using it in November. I just had to share my excitement somewhere! I will be adding a few resources since our library is very small, and I like to have some things on hand.
Here are some things we are adding to our manual so it will be scheduled in.

Isaiah 9:6 for weeks 1/2 Bible verse
The Beginners Bible for my 1st graders daily oral reading practice
Daily 10 minute exercise/ stretching exercises to warm up our minds and get our wiggles out
A weekly character trait or a habit to work on (to mentally take note of and help each other)
The American Story- this is a perfect additional story type readaloud that all of the kids will enjoy, especially for reading aloud on State sheet focused days.
Liberty Kids series of videos- on YouTube
D'Aulaire books for extra readalouds (we read two chapters nightly)
Abeka health 3- so the kids see it isn't only moms opinions (hahhaha)- on days science isn't already scheduled I added this in for variety.
Natural Speller- (I already own this)- to practice/review phonics patterns through spelling dictation (like MFW 1st does)
Life of Fred Elementary series- this will be in our family evening basket (this will only be a supplement as we love math
The Golden Childrens Bible- this will be in our evening basket
We are also going to spend 6 weeks at the end of the year for typing practice

Is there any other free resources that would make good additions to this year of study?

I would love to add the Prek cores for my "littles", but being so close to CMAS with 6 kiddos means we will have to wait until tax season-lol. I have a great home library of childrens literature and tons of lauri toys so we don't need a "program", but there is something sweet about getting something new and shiny for the new sweet babies.

Thank you all for all of your encouragement and ideas on this board. I hope everyone is enjoying their year.

Brenda

allgrace

Re: Getting to use Adventures again-yay!!

Unread post by allgrace » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:17 pm

That is great Brenda! Thanks for sharing. We added in a USA puzzle to help practice the states.
Grace
"Sanctify them by the Truth, your word is Truth" John 17:17
Ds10: CTG
Dd7:MFW 1st
Dd5: MFW K
Ds 3: AAAT
Ds. 1: being very active😜

lovekids83

Re: Getting to use Adventures again-yay!!

Unread post by lovekids83 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:30 pm

Thank you for the suggestion. I am hoping to add a few puzzles and games for this year at CMAS time-lol.

I hope you are having a great year as well!

Brenda