Adventures in US History plus other Timelines

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
Clodia

Adventures in US History plus other Timelines

Unread post by Clodia » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:09 pm

Hello! We are an international family (4 different countries' passports among the 5 of us, including the U.S.), and homeschool outside the U.S. I'm using Adventures next year with my 3rd grader, and will teach some of the U.S. history and geography included, but not all of it. I'll be doing an overview along the same lines as that covered in Adventures for the other countries history and geography.

The question I have is concerning the timeline, and would like some opinions as to which will cause the least amount of confusion. Should I run the timelines concurrently by adding in the other countries history when I get to that point in the U.S. timeline? Or complete the U.S. timeline, then go back and do each countries history overview and add the appropriate timeline pieces on a separate line? Or are there other options I've not thought of! Thankfully all the countries we're learning about were English colonies at one point in their history, so we at least have a common starting place! :)

I thought about skipping Adventures due to the history and geography dilemma, but the other part of the curriculum just looks too good to miss! Thank you for any input or suggestions!
2018: VoD (DS), Learning God's Story (DD), Adventures (DD)
2017: All Aboard the Animal Train (DS), God's Creation A-Z (DD), Learning God's Story (DD)

bethinga

Re: Adventures in US History plus other Timelines

Unread post by bethinga » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:54 pm

Wow, that's quite an undertaking! Since Charlotte Mason thought history is best learned chronologically, I'd definitely add the other countries' timeline pieces on the same timeline as the US events. Now, whether you choose to stop here and there to teach what was going on in the other countries while teaching US History, or just teach them as separate studies, I'd base that on what's easiest for you, the teacher. But having the pieces all together on one timeline ensures that the kids can "see" how it all fits chronologically.
Beth in GA
Mom to a boy and a girl
Using MFW since 2012

bethinga

Unread post by bethinga » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:00 pm

Another thing to consider is that you will be studying lots of other countries when you get to ECC. It would be much easier, in my opinion, to fit in the other countries' histories then, rather than try to teach them along with Adventures in US History. It might just be a bit much for you and for them. But there's plenty of freedom in ECC to spend extra time on countries you want to learn more about, as well as adding in extra countries, or substituting different countries where needed.

You could always make your timelines then, too. If it were me, I'd teach those countries' histories during ECC and make a mini-timeline for each country as we come to it. It's even possible that you could fit those separate countries' timelines all together at the end, especially if you write dates on the pieces. That would be fun!!
Beth in GA
Mom to a boy and a girl
Using MFW since 2012

MFW-Julie/Archiver

Unread post by MFW-Julie/Archiver » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:27 am

bethinga wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:00 pm
It's even possible that you could fit those separate countries' timelines all together at the end, especially if you write dates on the pieces. That would be fun!!
I like the idea of adding each country to the timeline as you finish and review :)

You'll need to decide which events and/or people you want to include on your timeline, and then you'll need to choose a date for each. The date is often the hardest part for me - people and events rarely last for just one year! An illustration is nice, too.

But once you select the person/event and a date, then it will be easy to place that timeline figure on the Adventures timeline whenever you decide to do that.

I wouldn't do too many per country at this age. Adventures has just a general introduction to timelines. For instance, over the year students add just 2 U.S. presidents to the Adventures timeline (Washington & Lincoln), plus a generic piece for adding the current pres.

Clodia

Unread post by Clodia » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:02 pm

Thank you for your replies and ideas! At this point I'm going to go through the Adventures history touching on the States which have some family relevance, then go back and add the other countries one at a time into the timeline. Just doing some very preliminary research I've already discovered connections I'd have never made about how the countries' histories tie in together. I'm looking forward to the children discovering some more! :)

I'm blessed in that there are age appropriate unit studies already developed for 2 of the other countries which have the same geography and history overview/symbols/ flowers etc. focus as Adventures, so it's not as bad as it sounds as far as planning goes. :)

We got our curriculum order last week, and the excitement level is pretty high around here from all of us for our studies next year! Thank you, MFW, for making school so very, very enjoyable!
2018: VoD (DS), Learning God's Story (DD), Adventures (DD)
2017: All Aboard the Animal Train (DS), God's Creation A-Z (DD), Learning God's Story (DD)

bethinga

Unread post by bethinga » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:37 am

So happy for you! Sounds like a fun year!!
Beth in GA
Mom to a boy and a girl
Using MFW since 2012