Singapore

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
bethinga

Singapore

Unread post by bethinga » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:44 am

My 5th grader is at Ex 21 of Singapore 3B. I don’t follow the MFW lesson plan schedule exactly because, although he’s very good at math, he’s a slow worker. I was the same way and I ended up hating math. Rather than push him to work more quickly and get super frustrated, making our days long and miserable, I have him complete one lesson per day, two if the first one goes quickly. But since he is very good at math, and likely to chose a career using math, I worry that we are too far behind. He may not complete 5B by the end of 6th grade as MFW recommends. Should I do something to make him “catch up”, or not worry about it as long as he’s always progressing forward? He has been complaining with this book that the work is too easy. I considered having him redo the placement test to see if we can skip ahead, but I’d hate to skip something important. Advice?
Beth in GA
Mom to a boy and a girl
Using MFW since 2012

Julie - Staff

Re: Singapore

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:32 pm

Hi Beth!
I know it's wise with some children to use a strong dose of gentleness. (My own son and the pencil comes to mind.) However, I also think a mathy kid needs to have an eye toward building up math muscles. Math lessons will get to be well over an hour in the years ahead (longer if there are corrections), and we don't want the jump to be too painful.

On the website (under Curriculum/Math/Required Placement Test), there is an outline for "catching up" with Singapore Math:
Many children who switch to Singapore after 2nd grade will need to complete more than one lesson a day until they are on target to complete this goal [5B by the end of 6th grade]. The following time recommendations will help your child catch up.

3rd and 4th graders (who are behind) should spend at least 45 minutes a day on math.
5th graders (who are behind) should spend at least 60 minutes a day on math.
6th graders (who are behind) should spend at least 75 minutes a day on math.

Once your child has progressed sufficiently so that he is on track to finish at least Level 5B by the end of 6th grade, he can complete one lesson per day as scheduled in the MFW lesson plans.
https://www.mfwbooks.com/wps/portal/c/p ... ement_Test
However, if he's complaining that the work is too easy, then you may be able to adjust a bit. I suggest not skipping the lessons in the textbook (where the various Singapore ways of looking at numbers are taught), but sometimes the practice can be condensed for a child who truly demonstrates understanding - by working out the problems in the textbook or a few from the workbook. Keep an eye out to be sure he's using some of the Singapore methods such as bar diagrams. You may then be able to jump to the next lesson without finishing the workbook on some of the days. Just be sure he is learning the lessons and not simply solving problems in a rote way - I personally like to see a few mistakes along the way or "scribble-outs," showing he is trying different tools to attack problems.

Love mathy kids here :)
Julie