What are the benefits to adding a year of geometry to Saxon?

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
gratitude

What are the benefits to adding a year of geometry to Saxon?

Unread post by gratitude » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:48 am

I am thinking of using MFW’s recommendation of adding a year of geometry between Algebra I and II. My son is currently doing Saxon Algebra I. The geometry in Saxon has been his favorite part of Saxon. What are the benefits to taking a year for geometry?

Why did MFW make the recommendation for a year focused on geometry?

Thank you! :)

Julie - Staff

Re: What are the benefits to adding a year of geometry to Saxon?

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:53 pm

As far as using the Saxon Geometry text, my Father's World has reviewed Saxon Geometry and we still prefer Jacobs Geometry. Jacobs Geometry has a wonderful way of explaining concepts and providing background information, making it a more easily understood and applied program. Also note that the Saxon Geometry text was not actually written by Mr. Saxon.

As far as using the geometry contained in Saxon Algebra texts for a geometry credit, MFW has found that spending a year with Jacobs Geometry has proven valuable. The publisher has a FAQ on this topic below -- note that formal proofs ("Euclidean geometry") are not included in Saxon until the upper years, whereas in most high school geometry programs today proofs are included throughout, building up an understanding of math theorems and postulates that are used in all the upper maths.
Geometry concepts are introduced in Saxon's early textbooks, but the heart of the geometry course is embedded in Algebra 2 and Advanced Math. Students who complete Algebra 2 have taken the equivalent of one semester in geometry, but they will need to complete Advanced Math in order to complete one full year of Euclidean geometry. Because Advanced Math is a rigorous book, it is most often completed in three or four semesters. Students completing Advanced Math will have taken the equivalent of one year of geometry and one year of trigonometry and advanced algebra. For those who prefer to spend a full year studying geometric concepts, we now also offer the Saxon Geometry homeschool package.
http://www.hmhco.com/shop/education-cur ... ool#credit
Hope that helps,
Julie

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:11 am

Thank you Julie for your help. :)

gratefulmom

Unread post by gratefulmom » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:18 pm

My daughter used Jacob’s and loved it. My funny story about that...one day she came in from playing softball in the yard with her brothers and told me that she had finally figured out how to hit the ball because of a geometry problem/example that talked about angles and such.

She’s my brainiac and sports aren’t her strong point but it just made me laugh that a textbook helped her to grasp connecting the ball with the bat!