Struggling with first grade math

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
carmel1217

Struggling with first grade math

Unread post by carmel1217 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:15 pm

Hi!

I am using MFW first grade with my 6 year old daughter, and we are at the point where we are doing two digit addition (week 18). It is way too hard for her! Has anyone else had experience with this? She is just not ready for this. She can identify and work with single digit numbers and manipulatives just fine, but she is just not ready for double digits. She was doing fine with math up until now, but this is too hard for her at this point. Any thoughts on how to proceed from here? She is my first child, so this is my first time doing this, and when I come across something that she apparently "should" be able to do, but can't, I start to feel freaked out and like I don't know what I should do!

Thanks for any thoughts or insights!

Rachel

Julie - Staff

Re: Struggling with first grade math

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:26 pm

Hi Rachel,
Sorry about the slow reply - it's been a busy week with the end of sale, whew!

Some kids will be roaring to go with the intro of 2-digit addition in Week 18. To others, it will sound like a foreign language at first, and just a small seed will be planted. The same goes for Week 19, with the concept of greater- and less-than.

Use the suggested Unifix cube activities to teach the concepts in Week 18, and reinforce with those hands-on methods for as long as needed. She is a fortunate student to have a teacher who is attuned to whether she is ready to move beyond the hands-on -- or not.

In Week 20, you'll go back to 1-digit addition and introduce flashcards. The flashcards will gradually build into 2-digit numbers, e.g. 9 + 3. Two digit numbers will also appear when you work on "doubles" in Week 21. Eventually, the topic of adding 2-digit numbers will be revisited (Weeks 33-34 -- and again next year).

Focus on the hands-on methods as long as they are needed. Besides the Unifix cubes, one activity in the next few weeks is to create a chalk number-line outside and another uses dice. The restaurant and store activities may end up with some 2-digit numbers in the mix as well. Hands-on methods help young children to absorb what they're really doing with numbers.

Mastery is not required the first time through. The building blocks will bring her where she needs to be. Typically, she will let you know when she doesn't need so much reinforcement any more.

Blessings as you worry about your first student!
Julie

carmel1217

Re: Struggling with first grade math

Unread post by carmel1217 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:41 pm

Thank you so much Julie! That is very helpful! :)

Rachel