What do you do with twins?

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
ruthamelia

What do you do with twins?

Unread post by ruthamelia » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:15 pm

I'm asking this early, because I think about it already! Also, because I know there are at least a few of you on here from time to time with twins. I'm wondering how you manage their learning in very early years? Especially if they don't pick everything up at exactly the same pace? Have you had issues with one or the other getting discouraged if they are behind the other?

My son and my niece are exactly 4 months apart- 3.5 years old right now- and I'm already wondering what we will do once they are ready for Kindergarten. (Our kids all do school together). These two are together A LOT already, and tend to be competitive, although without a doubt they are also best friends. They like to do school with the bigger kids sometimes, and so have identical workbooks that they work through at different paces when they are interested. I'm considering whether it will be best to start them in K at the same time (certainly easier from the teacher perspective- but may also create unnecessary competition, especially if one finds a subject easier than the other) or start the older one first and the younger a few months later (definitely harder for teaching, may make the younger one feel like they are always 'behind', but might decrease direct competition).

So, although these aren't twins, I expect some carryover in principle, and I'm wondering what you have done with twins? Especially if they don't learn at exactly the same pace? Or if one excels above the other in a certain subject? Do you always have them do the same things, or do you individualize? Or, if you don't have twins, but have other thoughts to help I'd love to hear them! I am guessing this gets a little easier with age and maturity, but I want to start them off right when they are ready for K.
Kids in school: 14, 12, 10, 7, 6, 4, 3
We have used: K, First, all Investigate years
2018-2019: First, ECC, AHL

allgrace

Re: What do you do with twins?

Unread post by allgrace » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:00 pm

I don't have twins, but I would do the fun stuff from k together. I would teach them math and L.A separately, or at least L.A. separately so that they can't compete. Or, this is more work, but you could start the older child first and a few months later start the second child. I think it is just important that each child feels successful.
"Sanctify them by the Truth, your word is Truth" John 17:17
Ds10: CTG
Dd7:MFW 1st
Dd5: VOD (slowly)
Ds 3: AAAT(slowly)
Ds. 1: nursing, diaper changes, sleeping in carrier😜

Julie - Staff

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:26 pm

graceandjarrod wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:00 pm
I don't have twins, but I would do the fun stuff from k together. I would teach them math and L.A separately, or at least L.A. separately so that they can't compete.
This would be our recommendation as well - teach math and LA individually (this is true for all ages, even if kids are at the same level), and combine all the other subjects as much as possible (Bible, social studies, elementary science, art/music, literature).

Julie

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:38 am

I have twins... Do math and the teaching of reading separately. Try to do games and fun hands on together. I kept mine together for a little bit, but then I realized one was probably dyslexic, and would get discouraged by his brother "getting" things faster. Sometimes it is a motivator, but usually it hurts their self-esteem.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog