MFW Bible and year round schedule

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
allgrace

MFW Bible and year round schedule

Unread post by allgrace » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:24 pm

Hello,
We are doing ECC and we homeschool year round completing 3 weeks a month but mostly taking breaks when we want. We have only been doing the Bible scheduled in ECC on days we do school. I like completing a whole day at a time, but then I wonder if the Bible reading is too "choppy" with having some days when we are reading Matthew and other days we are reading Bible that I choose or working on hymns, memory verses, character etc. I am wondering what other families do? Maybe it isn't choppy and its just me? Also, does everyone stay on the same day if the TM for every subject? I have been just going down the grid, but some days I think it's easier to just focus on a few subjects a day rather than doing all of those subjects every day. But maybe kids learn more from doing a little bit of each subject each day? Or does it matter? Thoughts?
Thank you,
Grace
"Sanctify them by the Truth, your word is Truth" John 17:17
Ds10: CTG
Dd7:MFW 1st
Dd5: MFW K
Ds 3: AAAT
Ds. 1: being very active😜

Julie - Staff

Re: MFW Bible and year round schedule

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:46 pm

Hi Grace,
In trying to understand your dilemma, I'd like to make sure I'm "hearing" you correctly.

So during the three weeks that you are doing school, you are pretty much going down the grid and doing the lesson plans as written, correct? For instance, using Week 9 from the sample pages on the website, you would do the following for Bible each day:

MONDAY
Read Window on the World and pray for Columbia
Do the Student Sheet with John 3:16 in Portuguese
Practice the weekly memory verse
Copy the memory verse

TUESDAY
Read from Matthew and discuss
Write the memory verse from dictation
Pray for Columbia etc.

WEDNESDAY
Pray for Columbia etc.

THURSDAY
Pray for Columbia etc.

FRIDAY
Recite the weekly verse from memory
Review previous memory verses
Pray for Columbia etc.

graceandjarrod wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:24 pm
I wonder if the Bible reading is too "choppy" with having some days when we are reading Matthew and other days we are reading Bible that I choose or working on hymns, memory verses, character etc.
So, in looking for the choppy parts, I'm wondering which days you are reading Bible you choose? Are those on your days off? Are your days off mixed into every week?

As for the hymns, are you adding those to your ECC weeks? (We did that using Hymns for a Kid's Heart.) Or, are you stopping the ECC Bible to do hymns instead on some days?

And memory verses - those are already scheduled, but it sounds like you're doing other ones as well? Are you doing Bible each day, even when you are taking breaks, but doing your own Bible reading and verses on the days you are taking breaks and doing MFW Bible readings and memory verses on the days you are not taking breaks?

Just trying to make sure I understand what you're asking about!
Julie
P.S. If you are interested in experimenting with schedules, Marie Hazell has posted a schedule she finds helpful. You might enjoy reviewing her idea: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15731

allgrace

Unread post by allgrace » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:42 am

Thanks for asking for clarification. Yes, your example of week 9 is correct. Yes, we take random days off, but usually do 4 days of school a week, sometimes 3 if we have something else going on or need one. If the weather is nice, or we get invited over to play, or if our homeschool group has a field trip, or if someone is sick, or we have a well baby doctor appt...we take a day off. I also have a weekly Women's Bible study at our church. My oldest is in 3rd grade so I am planning on trying to do 3 weeks a month with a 4 day school week next year, but I like flexibility, at least while they are young.
I add hymns to each Bible Time, even the days we do ECC. Our Bible Time looks like this

1. Hymn
2. Memory verse review ( usually about 1-4 verses including that week's ECC verse, sometimes on that weeks verse)
3. Bible reading ( if it is a school day we do ECC scheduled Bible and Hero Tales etc.. If not we read another portion of the Bible)
4. Prayer

We do Bible Time 6 days a week and church on Sunday. So the days we do school I go down the grid and do the ECC Bible, add a hymn, and we use Simply Charlotte Jason's memory box system. So we review memory verses that we have learned over the past few years and I do add a memory verse that the kids need at times. So to clarify, yes we do Bible on the days we take breaks. But it is not ECC Bible and I wonder if that feels "choppy" meaning we are reading through Matthew, but we read it 3 or 4 days a week and on our days off we might read Proverbs, or a book for character training? I am also wondering how it will work next year with CTG being the OT?
I am also open to thoughts about Bible Time. I want my kids to know the Bible well and they actually always want to read more! They love the Bible and I want to feed their hunger for God's Word. But I don't want to overload them either. This is something I have been praying about. So many Believers don't have a hunger for God's Word and my prayer is that my family will.
I will check out Marie's schedule. I like 3 weeks a month because our breaks can be more frequent. It has been a very physically tiring year with a new baby and a 2 year old who doesn't sleep, plus my other kids. So I confess that at times when I have been overwhelmed and wanting to quit, we take time off and do something fun. I pray and read my journal where I have written down why God has called us to homeschool and why MFW is good and how He is using it in their lives. Even though it has been a hard year, it has been so rich and a year of spiritual growth in my kids. Ok. Sorry this is long. That's all.

Thanks for your input.

Julie - Staff

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:05 am

What a wonderful thing to hear your children ask for more from the Bible! It reminds me of the year my mother-in-law taught our homeschool for a month or so. She would report back, "...And we read the Bible pages you said to read, and we just kept reading, I hope that's okay?!" Warmed my heart.

By the way, in future years, it will be easier to "just keep reading" on your days off, if you'd like, since you'll be going through key portions but won't be covering whole books like ECC does this year.

Also, there will be two years when hymns are already scheduled for you (Exploration to 1850 and 1850 to Modern Times).

So, this year, since you are reading all of Matthew, you can't just "keep going." As you mentioned, you need to do something else for Bible on your days off. To me, it wouldn't feel choppy if I was clear with the kids. I always appreciate how MFW curriculum makes sure the kids know exactly what they are reading and where it is in the Bible. So when you come back to ECC after days off, you could just review with the children: "We are back to reading from Matthew today. Do you remember that Matthew is the first book of the New Testament? Anyone remember where we left off? What did we learn last time? What has Matthew told us so far about the life of Jesus? Etc."

Then on your other days, you could do the same - help the children understand where in the Bible you are reading on those days, and where you last left off. I know two different readings can work. One year, my youngest did Proverbs (including the 1st grade copywork - and he was in 8th!) and it didn't feel confusing to be doing both Matthew and Proverbs that year. My son especially loved Proverbs and used to listen to Uncle Rick read the book of Proverbs over and over on audio when he went to sleep :) Another year, we added a study of our church year (so they'd understand when Holy Week comes up next week etc.), and that didn't confuse them with our school Bible time.

Maybe the key is that the children understand what topic you are learning about or what book you are reading from on the non-school days, so they have a place to file it in their brains? e.g. "Today we will have a day off from school, so we will read from this book again. Does anyone remember what we learned from this book last time? ...)

And maybe just stick to two things, two streams of learning at a time?

It sounds like you are managing your five young children well. As they get older, you may switch to a more regular schedule such as the one Marie described. That way, the children wake up knowing what their day will entail. But for now, it sounds like your system is working for you, so maybe something as simple as a bit of clarification and review as you begin each day, so that everyone (even you) has their brain's filing system open to the right drawer as you begin?

Maybe other moms experienced with many littles will get a chance to chime in this weekend, as well. Blessings,
Julie

allgrace

Unread post by allgrace » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:53 pm

Thank you Julie, that is helpful. I think sticking to two streams of reading sounds good. Thanks for sharing. We read Proverbs and Psalms on our days off. It sounds like we can just keep reading in the OT next year in CTG on our days off right? Is that what you meant? I was also wondering if most peole just teach down the grid or if they are in different weeks for different subjects? So in week 10 for science, 12 for math and language arts , etc. And my kids are enjoying Matthew and would like to just keep reading, but then we would be way ahead in Matthew. Maybe I shouldn't try to keep every subject on the same week and day? But just complete it as we do and complete the MFW year when we do and move on to the next year? Does anyone do this? I have thought about it but then I know we would complete ECC in less than a year ( we could do ECC Bible, Geography and Science even on our days off since we love it and then we would have less breaks from Matthew) and then finish the year with math and language arts, or start CTG while finishing third grade math and language arts? We school September to August. So if we did ECC more we would finish it by June and then start CTG. But I don't want to get to RTR and still be finishing up 4th grade or have my son not be quite mature enough for the subject material. Or would that even be an issue?
Thank you for your patience with all of my questions

Julie - Staff

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:13 am

graceandjarrod wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:53 pm
Thank you Julie, that is helpful. I think sticking to two streams of reading sounds good. Thanks for sharing. We read Proverbs and Psalms on our days off. It sounds like we can just keep reading in the OT next year in CTG on our days off right? Is that what you meant?
Yes, that's what my mother-in-law did. I think that because large passages are read together, such as the story of Joseph, it might end up being that you are reading "ahead" until you get to the end of the current passage, and then you begin to "just keep reading" on the following days, until you get to a new passage assigned.
graceandjarrod wrote:
I was also wondering if most peole just teach down the grid or if they are in different weeks for different subjects? So in week 10 for science, 12 for math and language arts , etc.
I hope others chime in on how it looks in different homes!

To me, the grid is a blessing and I tried to teach from it as much as possible, but I think it ends up being a little bit off here or there for most families, since we might spend more time on one assignment or less on another, and of course life happens and we aren't feeling well for a few days, etc.

At my house, when I got behind on something that I wasn't too worried about, then I added it to my little list of things "to do if time" and moved on. That might mean we did an old project on a day that we finished early, or I might include it on a list of afternoon options for my son (in elementary school, we often finished at 12 or 1:00, and then I gave him "options" for the remainder of public school hours rather than migrating towards screen time).
graceandjarrod wrote:
And my kids are enjoying Matthew and would like to just keep reading, but then we would be way ahead in Matthew. Maybe I shouldn't try to keep every subject on the same week and day? But just complete it as we do and complete the MFW year when we do and move on to the next year? Does anyone do this? I have thought about it but then I know we would complete ECC in less than a year ( we could do ECC Bible, Geography and Science even on our days off since we love it and then we would have less breaks from Matthew) and then finish the year with math and language arts, or start CTG while finishing third grade math and language arts? We school September to August. So if we did ECC more we would finish it by June and then start CTG. But I don't want to get to RTR and still be finishing up 4th grade or have my son not be quite mature enough for the subject material. Or would that even be an issue?
Thank you for your patience with all of my questions
I think that could work out just fine. My own family ended up on a January-to-January schedule for MFW curriculum for several years (with summers off), and we were on September-to-September for math/LA. Honestly, I don't think my son paid much attention to when I got a brand-new Teacher's Manual :) He just knew we kept moving forward in history, moving on to a new composer, etc. When he got to 8th grade, we were repeating ECC and he just did about half of it and then we began high school in the fall of 9th grade.

As far as whether he will be not mature enough, I think you will have a sense of that as you go along. It's always possible to slow down for a bit and let him mature. If you make full use of book basket and all the hands-on activities, you can have some full days without moving on a lot. I remember we expanded on a few art projects, writing projects, plant growing experiments, and more. You can spend a week having the children turn a project into a presentation for dad or grandparents. The Message Board has ideas for adding relevant things to each unit and some families turned things like a Roman feast in RTR into a group event.
ECC: viewforum.php?f=15
RTR: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4802

No worries about questions - it feels like we are in one another's living rooms and chatting :)
Julie

allgrace

Unread post by allgrace » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:18 pm

Thanks Julie. That helps a lot. I have been trying to have math and L.A be at the same pace as MFW, but I think we might naturally have two different places in our family. Thanks for your encouragement!
Grace