Help with preparing for high school

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
Momof10

Help with preparing for high school

Unread post by Momof10 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:08 pm

Hello,

I have two rising 9th graders who are finishing the last year of the history cycle. My girls will be 14 in early June. Our writing instruction has been hit or miss due to moving a few times, and my older daughter’s health issues. For formal instruction, we completed Writing Strands 3 a few years ago, half of IEW’s student writing intensive B last year, and have been struggling through 8th grade Essentials in Writing this year (mostly because they don’t like the program). I realize that it is recommended that they at least complete 1/2 of Writng with Skill before starting high school. I found the post that explains what can be skipped to accelerate the program if they are just beginning it in 8th grade.

My first question is, if I order it and begin with them in June, what is a realistic schedule for completion of half of the curriculum? To put it another way, if we worked steadily from June through the summer, how long would it take us to complete what we need to? What would a realistic number of lessons per week be? We will also be working hard on math and I want to do a Summit Ministries Worldview course with them, plus start Apologia Physical Science (I’m choosing to use that for their 9th grade science).

My second question is, how independent can they be with the Writing with Skill? How much time will it take them each day, and how much do they need me to be involved? I am currently homeschooling 6 of my children, plus nursing a newborn, and chasing a toddler. I feel like there is not enough of me to go around most days :)

Thanks so much for your help!
Wife to Steve 16 years, mom to 8 daughters (23, 15, 13, 13, 11, 5, 2, and 2 months), and 2 sons (9 and 7).
MFW ECC, CTG, RTR, Ex to 1850, 1850 to Mod.

Julie - Staff

Re: Help with preparing for high school

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:57 pm

Hello!

I'll start the conversation and hope others have a minute to chime in!

(1) WRITING - TIME & INDEPENDENCE: The description of Writing With Skill suggests 45 minutes per day for the student and 15 minutes per day for the parent.
These lessons (30-45 minutes per day) provide a strong foundation in composition needed for high school. The Writing with Skill Instructor Text acts as a writing coach, leading you step by step through each lesson in the student workbook, explaining specific ways to assist students (parent involvement about 15 minutes per day). Complete two lessons per week, using the first half of the book in 7th grade and the second half in 8th grade. Includes Student Workbook and Instructor Text.

A thesaurus is needed for some of the lessons. We recommend Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Thesaurus because of its thorough, scholarly content and ease of use.
I am thinking that one lesson per day would be enough for the brain to absorb, and 4-5 days per week if possible. Then, I would try to get as far as possible. Of course, you could use your judgment as to whether one or both of your students has mastered a certain content area and can move forward to the next lesson on the same day or skip over a lesson on a similar topic. If your student doesn't finish the 8th grade plan over the summer, you could stretch the program into the fall or pick it up again the next summer.

(2) SCIENCE: I don't know what your family's schedule looks like, but if your girls are going to use Physical Science for 9th grade, then they don't necessarily need to start over the summer, or could start just a week or two before the school year begins. Physical is often done in 8th grade, so shouldn't be too challenging for a 9th grader. (My son did Physical in 9th as well.) Since Biology and Chemistry tend to be a little bit more challenging, you will have a better idea of whether summer work on those would be helpful after this coming year.

(3) WORLDVIEWS: Just wanted to mention that U.S. History to 1877, the 11th grade package, includes extensive coverage of worldviews, both in Bible and in American Literature.

Blessings as you take care of many needs,
Julie

Momof10

Re: Help with preparing for high school

Unread post by Momof10 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:19 am

Thank you so much, Julie! I think I will wait until fall to start science. I think it is best to just focus on math and writing this summer. I need to get back into a schedule with everyone. My newest baby came two weeks early, and had tongue-tie, so I have been consumed with nursing and pumping, etc. and we’ve gotten way off track. Thank you again for your input. I will work with the girls and hopefully we’ll be ready for high school this fall.

I’m so glad to hear that worldview is covered in 11th grade! I had previously purchased the Summit ministries course used, and I am thinking maybe we’ll just go through it slowly and informally. There are always so many things I want to do with them, but time slips away :(
Wife to Steve 16 years, mom to 8 daughters (23, 15, 13, 13, 11, 5, 2, and 2 months), and 2 sons (9 and 7).
MFW ECC, CTG, RTR, Ex to 1850, 1850 to Mod.