Finishing “on time”

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
bethinga

Finishing “on time”

Unread post by bethinga » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:14 pm

I get really stressed sometimes about completing the MFW history cycle before high school. We used a different curriculum one year, so my oldest won’t repeat ECC. We should be able to complete the history cycle “on time”, but things always take longer than I expect and life ends up stretching out our school year. I’d love to take things at a slow pace, but I worry about not being done with the cycle by 9th grade. Is this something I should be concerned about?
Beth in GA
Mom to a boy and a girl
Using MFW since 2012

manyblessings

Re: Finishing “on time”

Unread post by manyblessings » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:12 am

Think of it this way. If you started a child in MFW at grade 7, for example, they would only do ECC and CTG before high school.In other words, it is perfectly okay if your children do not complete the whole history cycle in elementary and middle school, because they will get in-depth coverage of all world and American history in the high school guides. Each child simply "exits" the Investigate cycle when he or she finishes grade 8 and begin grade 9 with the first guide in the Declare cycle for high school, while any younger siblings continue Investigate till the end of 8th grade.
Lourdes
Mom of 4 adults, 1 daughter-in-law, 1 son-in-law, 1 in 1st, and
3 in heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, and 9/13/13
Married to my soul mate since 6/20/09
Past: MFW K, ECC, AAAT, VOD, GCA
2018-2019 LGS

bethinga

Unread post by bethinga » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:54 am

Well, that makes sense. But I think I'd be sad not to complete the cycle with them. We enjoy it so much.

We usually school year-round. But I might finish differently this time. Tell me what you think of these options:

We are in week 26 of CtG. We just got back from the beach and my kids have VBS next week. In July, we have a camping trip and the kids have a week of Fine Arts day camp.

Option 1: Do school when we are home, finishing CTG by end of July. Take a break in August and begins RTR in September.

Option 2: Take June-July off and start back in August right where we left off, moving seamlessly into RTR when we complete CTG.

My kids are 9 and 11.
Beth in GA
Mom to a boy and a girl
Using MFW since 2012

bethinga

Unread post by bethinga » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:31 am

I just spoke to a friend who gave me a really great third option that I think is the right choice! I think we'll continue with Bible, History, and math whenever we are home this summer, then take a break when we reach the end of CTG. That gives us a break from most academics while simultaneously finishing history. I'm continuing math because that's the one thing my kids don't need to stop through the summer anyway or they'll forget things. But I might let them play games online for math and only do the Singapore 2-3 days a week. I feel much better now. :)
Beth in GA
Mom to a boy and a girl
Using MFW since 2012

manyblessings

Unread post by manyblessings » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:51 am

Sounds like a great solution!
Lourdes
Mom of 4 adults, 1 daughter-in-law, 1 son-in-law, 1 in 1st, and
3 in heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, and 9/13/13
Married to my soul mate since 6/20/09
Past: MFW K, ECC, AAAT, VOD, GCA