"Gospel" is an unusual word - Minutes with Marie

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
Marie

"Gospel" is an unusual word - Minutes with Marie

Unread post by Marie » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:39 am

“Gospel” is an unusual word.

People rarely use it in ordinary, day-to-day conversation.
And exactly what does it mean?

“Gospel” means “good news.” But what is the good news?

The long-awaited event has occurred.
The King of the Universe has come.
The King of kings came to Earth to rescue ME from the mess I am living in.
A rescue mission – because there was no other way. I was helpless.
Why would He do such a costly, painful thing?
One word – love.

His love is so immense it fills the universe.
His love is so gentle it finds me, his lost lamb, and carries me home.
His love is so complete that it extends to each and every one of us.

Take this good news into your heart and let it flow out to others.
It’s the Gospel!

Take a few minutes – listen to “The Gospel” and let your heart speak to the One who rescues us.
https://youtu.be/NTdFEZhjiko

Marie

Mommygrier

Re: "Gospel" is an unusual word - Minutes with Marie

Unread post by Mommygrier » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:09 pm

This is so true! May I share this on my Facebook page?
Married to my best friend since 2011 (together since 2009)
Mommy to five beautiful children
Started using MFW in 2017
A6: MFW 1st
M5: MFW K
H3: VOD (slowly)
D2: AAAT(slowly)
G1: nursing, sleeping, playing

Marie

Unread post by Marie » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:55 am

Yes! That's a great way to "share" the good news!

By the way, have you seen how we are doing Facebook in a "My Father's World" way? We want to encourage all of us to see the world through God's eyes.
https://www.mfwbooks.com/Facebook

Marie

bethinga

Unread post by bethinga » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:54 am

Marie, for some reason, in our homeschooling circle, God has brought me friends of varying denominational backgrounds. I have a Greek Orthodox friend, a couple of Catholic friends, and just recently met a new friend who is Messianic. If all of these people love Jesus and believe in the Gospel as I do, should I try to lovingly correct any differences in tradition? I don't want to push them away and lose our friends. We pray for and encourage one another in our faith. Good Christian homeschool friends are so hard to come by.
Beth in GA
Mom to a boy and a girl
Using MFW since 2012

Marie

Unread post by Marie » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:18 am

What a great opportunity and what a great question!
You have an amazing starting point with your friends -- loving Jesus and believing in the core truths.

Remember that no denomination or group has a corner on truth. Love God. Love your neighbor as yourself. Jesus says that is the key; it sums up the law and the prophets! Instead of discussing differences (the form for baptism, how Communion is taken, etc.), you have an opportunity to build unity in God with friends. As you speak with them, focus on sharing about your relationship with God (and others). The goal is not to convert them to your way of thinking, but to bring all of you closer to God, yes?

The most powerful words will probably be those that flow naturally from building a relationship. It sounds like you are having fun together and showing mutual respect for each other. As needs arise (illness, etc.) you can help meet those needs (your kids can help make a meal and deliver it).

Share things you are learning and listen if they share what they are learning. Share true things that you have experienced in your life. How has God transformed your life? How did you handle a difficult conversation with your husband last week? How did God come through for you in a really tough time?

One of the best things you can do is encourage them to spend time with God, reading His Word every day. That's where real growth comes. And how wonderful that you are praying for each other.

Enjoy this special group God has placed you in!

bethinga

Unread post by bethinga » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:41 am

Thank you so much, Marie! This is what we've been doing for years, and it feels very Spirit led. Yet I sometimes question myself if I should be gently challenging some of those beliefs. I don't want to, honestly. I think they have the heart of the gospel and that's the best part. I feel that we cause growth for each other through sharing daily struggles and encouragements, like iron sharpening iron. I think I just needed someone to confirm for me that that's all that is needed. Thank you! ❤️
Beth in GA
Mom to a boy and a girl
Using MFW since 2012