Handwriting in 1st

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
Mommygrier

Handwriting in 1st

Unread post by Mommygrier » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:04 pm

We just completed MFW K with my oldest. For the first part of the year, it was a struggle to get him to pick up a writing utensil. We tried pencils, pens, markers, crayons. He hated it all. By the end of the year, he was more comfortable writing. However, he only writes in capital letters. Yes he did practice the lower case letters on the worksheets. But he just doesn't use them when he is writing words. What can I do to help him with his writing? I am a little concerned about all the writing that he will have to do in 1st. We are currently on break until the end of July. I want to work on his writing but not sure how I can help him. Any suggestions are truly appreciated!
Married to my best friend since 2011 (together since 2009)
Mommy to five beautiful children
Started using MFW in 2017
A6: MFW 1st
M5: MFW K
H3: VOD (slowly)
D2: AAAT(slowly)
G1: nursing, sleeping, playing

manyblessings

Re: Handwriting in 1st

Unread post by manyblessings » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:47 am

How old is he? He may just need time to grow into fine motor skills. Have you done the tactile activities like the ones suggested in K, such as using his finger to write in salt, a stick to write in dirt or sand, making letters out of clay? Writing on a white board with dry erase markers, on the ground outside with chalk, "walking" letters written large on the ground in chalk or indoors made of masking tape? These activities helped my daughter a lot.
Lourdes
Mom of 4 adults, 1 daughter-in-law, 1 son-in-law, 1 in 1st, and
3 in heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, and 9/13/13
Married to my soul mate since 6/20/09
Past: MFW K, ECC, AAAT, VOD, GCA
2018-2019 LGS

Mommygrier

Unread post by Mommygrier » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:26 pm

My son is 6.5yo. I have not looked into those. I will try those. Thank you!
Married to my best friend since 2011 (together since 2009)
Mommy to five beautiful children
Started using MFW in 2017
A6: MFW 1st
M5: MFW K
H3: VOD (slowly)
D2: AAAT(slowly)
G1: nursing, sleeping, playing

manyblessings

Unread post by manyblessings » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:40 pm

You're welcome :) Boys can tend to take longer developing those fine motor skills. My oldest child, also my only boy, really hated writing at that same age. On top of everything else, he is left-handed :~ It took him time to grow into it. In hindsight I wish I had done more of those activities with him, but I was brand new to homeschooling at the time and probably pushed him a bit too hard. Eventually I did learn to keep his handwriting sessions to a minimum, and allowed him to dictate written assignments to me until handwriting wasn't such a chore for him-for my son, that was till about age 9. Doing work with their hands is really helpful for strength and hand-eye coordination. Lacing activities are awesome too, like stringing beads or lacing shapes.
Lourdes
Mom of 4 adults, 1 daughter-in-law, 1 son-in-law, 1 in 1st, and
3 in heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, and 9/13/13
Married to my soul mate since 6/20/09
Past: MFW K, ECC, AAAT, VOD, GCA
2018-2019 LGS

allgrace

Unread post by allgrace » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:47 pm

I agree with many blessings. My oldest is 9.5 and I would say he wasn't as comfortable with handwriting until around 9. He still doesn't enjoy writing but it is definitely more comfortable for him. I also pushed my oldest too hard. I am a better late than early person as I have seen the benefit of starting my other kids later and waiting until they are really ready. I was sooo eager to start homeschooling everyone. My almost 7 year old is just starting first grade. It is a delight for us both because she is really ready. Such a different experience from my son who I pushed. This might not be your situation at all. But I have truly seen they thrive when they go at their own pace.
I would do as many blessings said. Give him all of that fine motor practice, but remember he might just need time. I read a book called "Better late than early". It talks about children's physical development and how some boys aren't physically ready for academics until 8. So I would just go at his pace. He may need a little more time or a lot. Slow first grade down if you have to or wait to start it. You could decide at the end of July. Pray about it as God knows your son best. I am convinced that He will lead us as we homeschool our kids. May God bless you and your family!
"Sanctify them by the Truth, your word is Truth" John 17:17
Ds10: CTG
Dd7:MFW 1st
Dd5: VOD (slowly)
Ds 3: AAAT(slowly)
Ds. 1: nursing, diaper changes, sleeping in carrier😜