MFW WHL for son -ADHD, Learning disability

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
abrightmom

MFW WHL for son -ADHD, Learning disability

Unread post by abrightmom » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:07 am

I need some feedback on using MFW High school with a student with life and learning challenges. 😀

DS15 will be a sophomore this fall. He went to a private school for 9th grade and had a mix of success and failure in the system. He has ADHD-Inattentive which profoundly affects him in all domains of life. He is currently not being treated for it although we are striving to find a good doctor with extensive experience with ADHD. DS has a diagnosis and has had some testing but we need more thorough evaluations. Here is what I know and why I am asking about MFW HS.

He has ADHD-I and his working memory is quite low. He operates at about the ability of an 11-year-old in terms of working memory and emotional control. He is easily overwhelmed. Low working memory impacts all domains of life and has quite an impact on writing. He has low epinephrine and norepinephrine. I believe he has a written expression disorder/dysgraphia. His motor skills are fine now but his abilities with the written word are below level despite a lot of work. He failed English at the school due to not doing the research paper and not writing all of the assigned essays. He CAN write but finds it almost impossible to write argumentative essays or critical thinking questions about literature, to meet arbitrary word counts and to manage large projects (ie research paper). He needs to grow but I have to know I can flex the assigned work. He also needs interesting yet streamlined reading and work. He is intelligent and easily bored. He likes discussion. He likes to read and is a strong reader. He is SO asynchronous in his abilities and it is hard to meet his needs.

I like how MFW HS integrates history, literature, Bible and writing. I like the schedule grid with clearly laid out assignments. I like that the work isn’t busy but meaningful. It seems in balance to me. Here are my questions:
1. Are the writing assignments scalable? How are the writing assignments guided? Are there explicit, step by step instructions?
2. Can the research paper be rescheduled? I want to do this with him but perhaps not at the beginning of the school year. However, I will talk with him about it! He may feel that he can do it if I’m with him and he has no other large writing projects to do. At his school he was overwhelmed by too many writing projects at once. ** I don’t have access to a WHL guide to see the pacing and the steps and the topics and the instruction.
3. We don’t want to focus on argumentative essays based on literature. If there is an assigned essay of this type will the integrated plans allow me to skip it or to substitute a different type of writing?
4. This DS needs to practice simple, clear, structured writing and be able to try different types of assignments. He is creative and would like to be able to demonstrate that he can write. He needs to practice writing but also stretch a bit.
5. Should I call the office to ask these questions?

I want to say that we have to consider WHL rather than AHL. He studied OT survey as a freshman and we need to move on from Ancients. If MFW can work then I want to keep the door open to finish the cycle with him.

Thanks for your help. 😀
-Katrina-

DS15, DS14, DD12, DS8

TriciaMR

Re: MFW WHL for son -ADHD, Learning disability

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:39 pm

Katrina,

I have PM'd you with information that I'd rather not share publicly.

Wishing you good luck!
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Julie - Staff

Re: MFW WHL for son -ADHD, Learning disability

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:09 pm

abrightmom wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:07 am
1. Are the writing assignments scalable? How are the writing assignments guided? Are there explicit, step by step instructions?
2. Can the research paper be rescheduled? I want to do this with him but perhaps not at the beginning of the school year. However, I will talk with him about it! He may feel that he can do it if I’m with him and he has no other large writing projects to do. At his school he was overwhelmed by too many writing projects at once. ** I don’t have access to a WHL guide to see the pacing and the steps and the topics and the instruction.
3. We don’t want to focus on argumentative essays based on literature. If there is an assigned essay of this type will the integrated plans allow me to skip it or to substitute a different type of writing?
4. This DS needs to practice simple, clear, structured writing and be able to try different types of assignments. He is creative and would like to be able to demonstrate that he can write. He needs to practice writing but also stretch a bit.
5. Should I call the office to ask these questions?
I'm glad to hear your reasons for not choosing AHL are that he has already done a thorough study of the Old Testament. We feel that is an excellent place to start our high school students. And this year, he will be able to read the entire New Testament.

Most of the writing is based on Writers INC this year. For instance, there will be information on creating a Works Cited page for the research paper. The research paper starts in week 3. It might be a good idea to allow a gentle start rather than a delayed start. You might be interested to know that another research paper is assigned in 12th grade, so maybe your son will feel less pressure this year.

There are opportunities to substitute assignments. My own son was in a boys book club and so I subbed out a couple of his assignments, without losing the benefits of the integrated subjects.

You might also be interested in our recommendations for incoming freshmen, in case it would be helpful:
An incoming student weak in formal grammar should complete Easy Grammar Ultimate Series: Grade 8. Likewise, a student weak in composition skills should complete Writing with Skill Level 1 (at least half of the book).
All that said, I do think calling the office and talking this through might be your best option in this case,
Julie