Rosetta Stone for Highschool Question

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
christianmom

Rosetta Stone for Highschool Question

Unread post by christianmom » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:32 pm

My son enjoyed Rosetta Stone Spanish with MFW1, ADV, & ECC when he was younger.

I am planning 9th for him and I am wondering how to use Rosetta Stone for Highschool. The format certainly has changed for Rosetta Stone. How do you turn it into a foreign language credit?

I have seen one college that won’t accept Rosetta Stone for foreign language. I was surprised! I loved how much he learned when he was young since it focused on speaking rather than translation & grammar (my own Highschool experience). Has anyone had any problems with the credits for college from Rosetta Stone?

Thank you!

TriciaMR

Re: Rosetta Stone for Highschool Question

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:40 pm

So, NCAA will not accept just Rosetta Stone for high school. Colleges might or might not. NCAA want to see a textbook or workbook, and then Rosetta Stone as a supplemental. We had so much trouble with Rosetta Stone we went to a co-op for Spanish and then supplemented with DuoLingo. I know other moms like the Homeschool Spanish Academy.

I've also seen a new curriculum called Breaking the Barrier, that could probably be used as a main spine, and then supplement with Rosetta Stone or DuoLingo.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

christianmom

Unread post by christianmom » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:57 pm

Thank you Tricia! :)

I had seen some controversy regarding Rosetta Stone alone for High school, and you just confirmed it.

I think Rosetta Stone was great when he was younger, but I wondered if we needed to go a different direction for High school.

Thank you!

Julie - Staff

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:27 pm

This is from the Foreign Language page on the website, in case it is helpful:
My Father's World recommends learning a foreign language with Rosetta Stone or another program. We prefer Rosetta Stone because of its excellent methodology and engaging, interactive format.

We have written a Foreign Language Enrichment Guide that will work with any course you choose. This guide is helpful for students seeking high school credit. It contains real life cultural activities, helps to enhance your language study, and provides a framework for a year-long foreign language course.

https://www.mfwbooks.com/wps/myportal/c ... ategory=24
Here is a PDF sample of the Enrichment Guide (page 9 shows a typical Rosetta lesson): https://www.mfwbooks.com/itemFiles/4190 ... Sample.pdf

The Guide can easily be used with the programs Tricia described and more.

My own son was accepted into three colleges (one state school and two private schools) and not questioned about his foreign language credits, so it may vary by college. He was not going into a liberal arts field where additional foreign language study might be required, so the particular major may make a difference, as well.

Our experience was that we used Rosetta Stone with MFW Lesson Plans and my son liked it. However, he was not passionate enough to dig into any questions he had about the language, so I did add some grammar in the second year. We used about the first half of the Barron's E-Z French, because I had used that before with my daughter, and I had either my daughter or a Skype tutor talk with him in French on occasion because he wasn't doing it on his own.

With my older daughter (who still uses her French on occasion, and we just used library materials when she did French 2 at home) as well as with French exchange students, I found that motivated, passionate students who use the language with their friends or watch movies in the language etc. will learn the language well whatever they use, filling in any questions they have on their own. Others, like quite a few of the French exchange students in the group and like my son, need more guidance :)

Julie

christianmom

Unread post by christianmom » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:38 pm

Thank you Julie for your experience & insights.

I will take a look at the samples.

Thank you! :)

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:49 pm

The biggest issue is if your kid will play NCAA sports at a Division 1 or 2 school. If that is the case, you *must* have a spine (there is a whole approval process students must go through, and experience from other homeschoolers say, you have to have some kind of book for each class). The NCAA will not approve only Rosetta Stone. If sports is a non-issue, then using Rosetta Stone will be fine.
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

christianmom

Unread post by christianmom » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:01 am

Thank you ladies for your help regarding Rosetta Stone. He won’t be doing NCAA sports. I do really like the way Rosetta Stone teaches languages.

I have the MFW lesson plan for Rosetta Stone in my cart, and I’m wrapping up our planning for September. I do have one more question. Can I give one credit for Spanish I if I use Rosetta Stone and the MFW lesson plan? This is what I would like to do! :)

Thank you!

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:25 am

Yes! That is what I did for my oldest.
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

christianmom

Unread post by christianmom » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:52 am

TriciaMR wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:25 am
Yes! That is what I did for my oldest.