Choosing Math

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
faiths13

Choosing Math

Unread post by faiths13 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:35 pm

I do not do well with math. When I hs'ed my 2 oldest we went through a large variety of curriculums trying to find one I could help them with or teach them. I also got confused and they both got stuck and unable to proceed in math until theyvtpok a class. Now I am looking for math for my 8 & 10 yr olds. They have not gone far in math at all and both hate it. I really want something that they can learn and I can understand to teach. Please advise.

arosemalone

Re: Choosing Math

Unread post by arosemalone » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:42 pm

We too have tried a variety of math programs. Now my oldest uses Math Lessons for a Living Education. I don't think it is too hard to teach or to understand. Can you share what you are looking for in a math curriculum?

manyblessings

Unread post by manyblessings » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:58 pm

Perhaps consider Teaching Textbooks? It has an online subscription that teaches for you and grades the material, and an e-book workbook. Or you can get it in CDrom and printed workbook format. There There are placement tests on their official website so you can see which levels are appropriate for your children. Perhaps you could watch the lessons with your children, to help you help them.
Lourdes
Mom of 4 adults, 1 daughter-in-law, 1 son-in-law, 1 in 1st, and
3 in heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, and 9/13/13
Married to my soul mate since 6/20/09
Past: MFW K, ECC, AAAT, VOD, GCA
2018-2019 LGS

faiths13

Unread post by faiths13 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:20 pm

We did TT last year, and my son didn't do well with it. He wouldn't sit through the entire lecture and flew through the work . I do want something gentle and where we can go slow with short lessons. I really need something that has a lot of teacher guidance.
Last edited by faiths13 on Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

manyblessings

Unread post by manyblessings » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:30 pm

Maybe get the Home Instructor's guides for Singapore Math? Those definitely have a lot of teacher guidance. Unless you've already tried that. Otherwise I second the Math Lessons for a Living Education. It seems to have an engaging and straight-forward format.
Lourdes
Mom of 4 adults, 1 daughter-in-law, 1 son-in-law, 1 in 1st, and
3 in heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, and 9/13/13
Married to my soul mate since 6/20/09
Past: MFW K, ECC, AAAT, VOD, GCA
2018-2019 LGS

DS4home

Unread post by DS4home » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:59 pm

We have used Math-U-See pretty successfully over the years. My kids aren't math lovers either. We watch the short video clip together at the beginning of the week. Then the workbook pages are done the rest of the week, and they are short, only around 20 problems a day.

Dawn
Celebrating our 28th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(9th).

2018: AHL for the 4th time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

Julie - Staff

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:55 pm

Not much has been said about Singapore, so I thought I'd mention a couple of things I like about using Singapore Math.

First, when you mentioned teacher guidance, I picture the 500-page teacher's manual that came with the first math program I got for my youngest, yikes! Too much teacher help can be worse than too little.

With Singapore, as Lourdes mentioned, there are teacher helps out there. However, if you start very simply by using the pictures to teach the lesson, then reinforce with objects around the house if needed, you will be learning to look at problems in different ways along with your student. After that, the lessons move to thinking bubbles and only then to the old familiar "math problems" we are used to seeing. So instead of a big teacher's manual, you have all the explanations laid out in one short text.

A couple of other helps with Singapore are this Message Board community, since so many of us used Singapore. With any math program, there are days you still get stuck, so I have gathered previous conversations about more difficult problems in the Math Archive. For instance, this thread is about Singapore 2A, when different kids got stuck and others shared ideas: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6057

Just one more idea :)
Julie

allgrace

Unread post by allgrace » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:13 pm

My son tried another math program before singapore and didnt like it because it was boring to him. He likes Singapore math because of the pictures! I like the mental math aspect. He is finishing up 2B and is good at mental math. I find the textbook has enough instruction for me. I did have the Home educators instruction guide to one of the levels but never used it. I found, like Julie said, that too much teacher help was just overwhelming. I like that Singapore is inexpensive and simple.
HTH,
Grace
"Sanctify them by the Truth, your word is Truth" John 17:17
Ds10: CTG
Dd7:MFW 1st
Dd5: MFW K
Ds 3: AAAT
Ds. 1: being very active😜

Truthjules

Unread post by Truthjules » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:53 pm

We've been using MAth U See for years. My daughter is dyslexic and has dyscalculia so it was very challenging to find her a program that she could tolerate and I could teach. We're in Algebra 1. We watch the short videos together and I reteach it to her and sometimes have to teach it differently (after scouring the internet math sites and getting ideas on alternate teaching methods) so she can understand but it works for us. I've heard Touch Math is good also for kids who struggle.