Apologia Online science classes-anyone tried them?

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
Truthjules

Apologia Online science classes-anyone tried them?

Unread post by Truthjules » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:10 pm

Hi, my daughter is doing 1850-modern this year and using the Apologia physical science curriculum.She Used The Apologia general science last two years (split the book into two years). I was interested in purchasing the online classes (not the interactive) and was wondering if anybody had tried them.

Julie in MN

Re: Apologia Online science classes-anyone tried them?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:56 pm

Since you haven't had anyone experienced with Apologia's classes chime in yet, I thought I'd mention that we did Biology with Virtual Homeschool Group online, which is free (or donations).

Our experience was good with the live Bio classes, Tammy was an excellent teacher and passionate about the content. My particular son was far more engaged than he had been without the class. The text still needed to be read but less review was required since the teacher was going over it, too.

We did have to develop reminders to show up for class at the right time LOL. And I tried to make sure he wasn't just retaking the online tests until he got a good score - mom discussion was thrown in to confirm understanding :) Also, the labs could easily be skipped since they weren't really graded. (To be honest, my experience in the public schools was similar - kids who just stood there would get credit equal to everyone else.) At my house, there was accountability to mom for some of those labs, in order to award an honest lab credit.

That's the only online class we tried.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Truthjules

Unread post by Truthjules » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:58 pm

thank you, Julie for that info. I had not heard of the virtual homeschooling group. I found www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.org. Is this the site? That's great that it is so reasonably priced. I was willing to pay the Apologia price of $16 a lesson through apologia and that's just for the video instruction, no interacting or grading. If this is the right site, i'll check it out!

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:35 pm

Yes those are the classes we used. It was several years ago now so the website is fancier now :)
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:34 am

We have used several Virtual Homeschool Group AYOP (at your own pace) classes and found them handy for review and reinforcement. My daughter used them for Advanced biology, and we have used them for General and Physical sciences. Donations are now closed, but if you volunteer to teach you might still be able to get into a live class.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Truthjules

Unread post by Truthjules » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:41 pm

thanks for the feedback, Tricia. Definitely will check them out!

Truthjules

Unread post by Truthjules » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:42 pm

Thanks for clarifying, Julie!