need high school parenting curriculum ideas

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
Truthjules

need high school parenting curriculum ideas

Unread post by Truthjules » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:23 pm

Hi, I'm in CA and to be in compliance my daughter needs to take a parenting class this year (9th) because we didn't do it in middle school. I've scoured the home school curr. sites and can't seem to find any. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank You!

Truthjules

Re: need high school parenting curriculum ideas

Unread post by Truthjules » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:38 pm

I forgot to add that we are doing 1850-modern times this year and I don't see anything in the curr. that could satisfy that requirement. Thanks!

Julie - Staff

Re: need high school parenting curriculum ideas

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:33 am

This requirement is new to me. I hope someone comes up with some great suggestions!

A few random thoughts I had this morning:

(1) Be sure that requirement applies to homeschoolers. Since you are the one awarding the diploma in your school, you often have to meet only general legal requirements and not specific requirements established by local school boards. Of course, I have never homeschooled in CA, so that's just a general observation.

(2) Would your fellow CA homeschoolers have experience with this course? Or even offer this course in a group or online setting? If you don't know many local homeschoolers, then HSLDA can be a good resource for finding local support groups to see what other families have used for this requirement.

(3) I have personal experience with public school "parenting classes," and I thought I'd warn you that in my area, these are designed to discourage parenting :( My daughter had to lug around a heavy doll and carseat for a week, to convince her that she wouldn't want to be a parent. It made me very sad but the teacher did not see it from my point of view.

(4) To create a better parenting course, you might look for materials from someplace like Focus on the Family. Or even secular courses from a place like your local ECFE branch, if available (Early Childhood Family Learning). Our local ECFE has online courses in parenting for like $20. I'd look for resources truly teaching parenting skills, rather than "parenting prevention" created for teens. You could also put together a course using a book written to parents on child development or parenting styles, plus some practical experiences with babysitting or observation of childrearing practices (at daycare centers or in different family homes).

There was a book called Senior High: A Home-Designed Form+U+La by Barbara Shelton that I used as a reference to create practical electives. HSLDA is also a great resource on pulling together creative electives, and they will provide a personal consultation to members (the MFW website has a reduced price for membership under the Resources tab).

(5) Finally, I wanted to be sure you didn't have a 9th grader using 1850 to Modern Times. High schoolers need to begin earning high school credits. Our recommendations for grade 9 would be to earn 6 to 6.5 high school credits, including our 3-credit package in Bible, History, and English: Ancient History and Literature (AHL): https://www.mfwbooks.com/products/15/An ... iterature/

I hope you end up with a great experience teaching parenting, if you find it is indeed required in your CA homeschool.
Julie