CLEP US History I- details

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
mom2h

CLEP US History I- details

Unread post by mom2h » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:18 am

Hi, mfwmb fam!

I'm investigating the CLEP US History test...
I can't seem to find out what is required on the test. Facts? Essay? Multiple choice?
Also, how does one actually take the test? At a testing site? Online? Do they charge for that, in addition to the CLEP PREP book?

Thanks!
Rhonda (mom2h)

Julie - Staff

Re: CLEP US History I- details

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:29 pm

Update: 8/22 clarified and corrected a few points!

(1) Here are some details about the content of the exams from their website, under "Key CLEP Facts" https://clep.collegeboard.org/earn-coll ... lep-basics:
  • Students take CLEP exams on a computer at official CLEP test centers.
  • CLEP exams contain multiple-choice questions.
  • CLEP exams take about 90–120 minutes to complete, depending on the exam subject.
  • CLEP exams are offered year-round at more than 2,000 CLEP test centers across the country.
  • Students receive their CLEP exam scores immediately after completing the exam (except for College Composition).
    (English tests often have an optional essay component, which is the part that takes longer to score.)

(2) Under "How to Register," the CLEP site gives these steps, and I've added a few notes to make sure your questions are answered:

Step 1: Check your college’s CLEP policy, to make sure they give credits for CLEP tests and any specific rules. For example, colleges may only give credit for certain CLEP tests; some will require very high scores (not just passing scores) before they will award credit at their college; others have a no re-take policy. According to CLEP, "Some colleges may opt to provide their own locally scored writing assessment."

On the other hand, in some states CLEP exams are one way a homeschool course can be called Honors on the transcript or one way for homeschoolers to qualify for scholarships.

Step 2: Once you decide to take an exam, register and pay for that exam on the CLEP website, clep.collegeboard.org The cost of a CLEP test is $87 and is paid online when you register (there are additional costs described below).

CLEP will give you the option of having the score sent to a college for free. If you'd prefer to wait and see what the score is before sending it to a college, you will pay a $20 fee to have them send out your score later (similar to the ACT & SAT). Note that it will take a couple of weeks for a college to receive the score, and possibly additional time to review the score and award credit.

Some military members get reimbursed for CLEP tests through DANTES; I am not sure whether any other organization does that. A few states may pay the fee as part of their dual-enrollment or other educational program.

Step 3: While on the CLEP website, choose a test site. Many community colleges and universities give the tests. Contact the test site to schedule your exam. The site will charge their own fee for their services, usually around $25-30. The cost is usually paid in cash at the time of the test. Students have 6 months from the time they registered with CLEP to take the CLEP exam.

Step 4: Prepare for your exam. The test is designed to test knowledge already learned, but most students also use a prep book. We carry the version from Dr. Preston Jones of REA (Research & Ed. Assoc.) for $29.95 each (list price 34.95).

Step 5: Take your exam and receive your unofficial score report from the test center. If you did not pass the test, there is a 3-month waiting period before retaking the test, and new fees must be paid.

I hope that helps you wrap your mind around the process,
Julie

mom2h

Re: CLEP US History I- details

Unread post by mom2h » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:40 pm

Thank you, Julie! This helps with my questions. And generates a few more.

Rhonda -mom2h