How do you work toward independence before high school?

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
manyblessings

How do you work toward independence before high school?

Unread post by manyblessings » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:47 pm

Hi! So far, my youngest has done great with the new Preschool, Pre-K, and Kindergarten, and is chugging away with First Grade. What I'm wondering is, I know that the high school guides are intended to be done independently. How do you prepare your child for that, when the family learning cycle is so parent-directed through the entire cycle? She is my only student, and I wonder if teaching her history and Bible in a read-aloud format will do her a disservice when it comes to having to do her own reading-to-learn in high school. I mean, can she begin to take over the history and Bible readings when she gets to, say, middle school age?
Lourdes
Mom of 4 adults, 1 daughter-in-law, 1 son-in-law, 1 in 1st, and
3 in heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, and 9/13/13
Married to my soul mate since 6/20/09
Past: MFW K, ECC, AAAT, VOD, GCA
2018-2019 LGS

arosemalone

Re: How do you work toward independence before high school?

Unread post by arosemalone » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:15 am

I found it necessary to let my oldest do most of her ECC work in fifth grade independently, because I was busy with her younger siblings and my other responsibilities. I would have liked to do more of the program with her, but I just didn't have enough time to do it all. I think she did fine and learned a lot. I know that she was able to read well with understanding by that time, and it was good practice for high school, when I will expect her to be even more independent in her schoolwork. All this to say, that as your child approaches middle school age, you should find that she is able to take on more responsibility for her own education. But if you have time, there's nothing wrong with continuing to do the read-alouds and other parent-directed lessons just as the TM recommends. Your child will still have opportunities to grow in independence. Don't worry yourself by looking too far ahead. Just teach the child you have now in the ways that work for her now. Things will change as she grows.

manyblessings

Unread post by manyblessings » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:09 am

Thank you for the words of wisdom, and a few years ago I would have agreed with you about not looking too far ahead. In my case, I am almost 48 with an almost 6 year old daughter, and wife to a husband of 51 who has a pacemaker yet still works to support us. My husband and I both feel it is God's will for us to homeschool our daughter through high school, and we both agree on MFW as the path we want to continue with. In the meantime I have just completed a BA in Ministry and Leadership and am going on to seminary for a M. Div. by way of online classes. I'm looking at 3 years of school for me plus 1 year of internship, then waiting for a ministry call. By then, our daughter will be a 5th or 6th grader. Looking ahead, I was wanting to know if our daughter could continue using MFW even if my husband and I couldn't spend as much time on it with her in the future, rather than having to switch to some worktext-based or online curriculum that would be oh-so-dry. Eventually, because of my husband's condition, I will probably become the main, if not only, breadwinner, and he would be her main teacher. I have every confidence in his abilities as he used to teach university-level Spanish, and currently teaches our daughter piano. But I think about his future energy levels. In the past, I have known families with both parents working, working single moms, and parents with chronic illnesses who found ways to make homeschooling work, but a lot of them resorted to worktext or online curricula. My husband and I are hoping to stick with MFW for the long haul. From what you said, it is possible to have my daughter work more independently by middle school, so that is encouraging. :)
Lourdes
Mom of 4 adults, 1 daughter-in-law, 1 son-in-law, 1 in 1st, and
3 in heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, and 9/13/13
Married to my soul mate since 6/20/09
Past: MFW K, ECC, AAAT, VOD, GCA
2018-2019 LGS

arosemalone

Unread post by arosemalone » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:11 pm

I am glad that I could encourage you. I agree about the various video and worktext options out there. Each time I have seriously looked into them, hoping to make homeschooling easier, I eventually come back to MFW and decide that it fits my philosophy better. And these other programs I've looked at seem to take so much of the student's day that I am afraid there would be little time left for her to play, do chores, and create.
I think that if I were homeschooling only one child in fifth or sixth grade, I could find ways to make it work even with low energy levels. Maybe if your husband is too tired to do the projects, your daughter could do them herself by that time, and notebook the results. Reading aloud can be done by the student while Dad rests, and then they could discuss what was read. I know there were times during my last pregnancy when I was too tired to even read out loud, but my daughter could read to herself and to her brother.

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:50 pm

As they approach middle school, and during middle school, expect them to do more on their own. My kids weren't ready for much independent work until 5th and 6th grade, and even then it was minimal.

As you add in Apologia sciences in middle school, you let them work those on their own. If you choose to use Saxon and the DIVE CD's for math, they can use that to try math on their own. I like being involved with their schooling so we can have lots of good discussions.

You'll just have to see what she is capable of as you go through each year, and gradually give her more to do on her own.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog