Career Assessment Tests

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
mom2h

Career Assessment Tests

Unread post by mom2h » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:32 am

Good morning, everyone!

Wondering if anyone has had their high-schooler take a Career/Interest Assessment test? Was it helpful?

DS has just started 11th grade (US to 1877) and we are wanting to make some choices of classes to take based on his future interests. (We have choices to make for science and math, especially, but electives, as well.)

HSLDA has a few of these tests in the high school section on their site, but I'm wondering if anyone has actually used any of them and what was your experience? Some of them are THE CALL (endorsed by Focus on the Family), CAREER DIRECT (through Crown Financial), THE HIGHLANDS ABILITY BATTERY, CAREER VISION, and the ASVAB (Armed Services Vocation Ability Battery).

Thanks for any insights you may offer,
Rhonda (mom2h)

Julie - Staff

Re: Career Assessment Tests

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:21 am

Hi again Rhonda :)

Since no one has had a chance to reply with this kind of experience, I just had one little thing we used.

My son did his 10th grade research paper on careers in the medical field, which he was leaning towards at the time. One of the books he used is helpful in both seeing the range of careers that are out there and in seeing whether actual jobs in those careers are likely to be available:

Occupational Outlook Handbook, U.S. Department of Labor

Also, there is a big homeschool co-op near me that has a class which uses Career Direct. Their course description says "career assessment that takes into account your student’s personality, interests, natural skills and abilities, and their work and life values." I have no personal experience with the course, but that is one endorsement :)

It's a good thing to think about.
Julie