Fluenz Spanish for high school?

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
grad1

Fluenz Spanish for high school?

Unread post by grad1 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:43 am

I used Rosetta Stone with 1 child and it worked for him, however it's not a good fit my 2nd child. It looks like Fluenz would work. I've seen used sets for sale. Will they work if your not original buyer? I have a tight budget.

Julie in MN

Re: Fluenz Spanish for high school?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:24 am

Hello!

I was hoping someone would eventually chime in with experience. I had never heard of Fluenz, but I'll just chat a bit about my experience with foreign languages in homeschool, public school, and having a foreign exchange student stay with us for a bit.

First, about buying used software, often that is not allowed. When a company states you are purchasing a single license, then you don't own a re-sellable item. But you'd have to ask them about their terms.

Second, about different foreign language options, I'll just say that anything can work if the student is really motivated to learn, to actually use what they're learning, and to figure out what they don't understand. On the other hand, nothing might get the student very far if he isn't motivated. The French students who stayed in our area had all had about 8 years of English language instruction, and some of them could speak almost no English. The gal who stayed with us loved American movies and travel, so she was very motivated to figure out the language; she spoke English very well.

Third, there are different philosophies about learning languages, and some of them depend on the age of the student. Younger students often learn best with an "immersion" method, where they are hearing a lot in the language and absorbing it like they did their first language. There may be little translation involved, but instead younger students may learn the second language directly. My grandson was in a public school program for K-5 where some subjects were taught in Spanish, and he can speak with Spanish speakers but he can't necessarily translate for me, because his Spanish isn't really connected to his English. Older students or adults may benefit from additional reading and writing in the language, where they can see the language and connect it to their knowledge of English. That may be why MFW recommends different components of Rosetta Stone for different ages.

A final comment about different foreign language options: Before MFW had high school or Rosetta, we used many different materials from the library, etc. One thing to be aware of when using some materials designed for adults: They may put an emphasis on ordering beer, hailing a taxi, and similar adult tourist topics. Just something to keep an eye out for when looking around at products!

Hope something in there is helpful, despite my knowing nothing about Fluenz!
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs