Using Grade 1 with older child?

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
mshanson3121

Using Grade 1 with older child?

Unread post by mshanson3121 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:37 am

Have any here done grade 1 with an older child? Our daughter is 8, and has ASD (high functioning). She learned to read last year when she was 7.5, however not through phonics. She just picked it up through whole language/context clues etc... We were trying phonics but at that time she just wasn't ready. She is reading books now like Dog Man, early chapter books (Flower Fairies or some series like that), some of the Roald Dahl books, but I also know that she is skipping some words because she doesn't know them, and doesn't know how to break them down. Math she excels at, and probably most of the math would be a review, but I would be okay with that because I want to keep things light/hands on this year. She really struggles with perfectionism and can lose it very easily when encountered with new information she finds difficult. We were using CLE for Language Arts and Math, and it's just not working any more. She finds it overwhelming (6-8 workbook pages per day, with close to 50 problems in math daily, with new concepts being every single day in both LA and Math). So, we need to make a change. I'm also thinking the Bible element would be good for her, and she LOVES doing copywork.

Thoughts?

allgrace

Re: Using Grade 1 with older child?

Unread post by allgrace » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:50 pm

Hello,
I am teaching first grade to my 7 year old. I personally love the phonics and the Bible lessons. My daughter finds the curriculum fun and engaging. The math is gentle and hands on. She loves the math. I think you will probably find the math to be lighter than CLE but I am not too familiar with CLE. I like that my daughter can have a light fun First grade year and have Bible integrated into her learning. She is my second child to use MFW 1st.

Another thought is you could use MFW 1st phonics for language arts and a separate math curriculum if you want her to be labeled a "2nd" grader. I think it mentions that on the faq on the MFW website. I spoke with the MFW office and they said to always place a child at the level of their weakest subject. So if that is phonics then place her in 1st and math will be easy. But that encourages them when they are young.
"Sanctify them by the Truth, your word is Truth" John 17:17
Ds10: CTG
Dd7:MFW 1st
Dd5: MFW K
Ds 3: AAAT
Ds. 1: being very active😜

mshanson3121

Re: Using Grade 1 with older child?

Unread post by mshanson3121 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:10 pm

That's good advice, I like that. Thank you. I showed her and she said she thought that looked better than what she was doing.