Testing time for Saxon 1/2

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
SaraJ7

Testing time for Saxon 1/2

Unread post by SaraJ7 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:29 am

I have an eighth grader daughter who is currently in Saxon 1/2. I have been giving her 60 minutes to take each test. She has complained that that is not long enough. Frequently, time is up before she finishes the 20 questions. How long do others give their kids to take the tests? Also, does anyone else allow their child to use a calculator on tests for Saxon 1/2? She understands the concepts and how to work the problems. But several problems are lengthy with long division and the like. I just am curious as to others' experience with this. To be clear, we have used Saxon since 2nd grade and this is the first year she has had difficulty finishing the tests on time. Thank you so much for your input.
Free range kids on the farm :)

TriciaMR

Re: Testing time for Saxon 1/2

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:16 pm

By this time she knows how to do long division... I would let her use a calculator :) That would help. I find that my kids often need more than an hour to do the tests, even with a calculator. Our local public schools here do 1.5 hour classes (so, they have one set of classes M-W-F, and another T-TH, kind of like college, and alternate that every week) for high schoolers, so I have no problem giving them more time.

That said, she may need to learn to pace herself... 20 questions for an hour is 1 question every 3 minutes - that's fast for some of those problems - especially those multistep volume problems and lateral surface area problems. So, she may need some kind of clock going so she can see how long she is taking on each question. But, I would let her take more time, still.

Just my take on things... (At the local community college and university, they only do classes 2 days a week now, and each class is 1.5 hours - unless it is a hybrid class).
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog