First grade - summary sentences

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
MrsHWood

First grade - summary sentences

Unread post by MrsHWood » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:52 am

My 7 year old first grade son is struggling with creating summary sentences, and I tried explaining it every way I can and trying to help him pull the main idea out of the story, but he's having major mental blocks with this and seems unable to trunculate. I'm looking for suggestions and advice to help him with this. He understands the concept if I make an example, but he seems unable to do it himself.

ruthamelia

Re: First grade - summary sentences

Unread post by ruthamelia » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:14 pm

Here are a variety of ideas you could try:

1. Have him say the sentence, you write it, then he copies it.
2. Pretend it's not about writing a sentence, and just ask conversationally what he remembers. Write down one sentence he says, or if he doesn't answer in a complete sentence, restate his answer as a sentence so he can hear the difference. Then follow #1.
3. Instead of trying to write a summary sentence, or main idea, just ask him to write a sentence about anything he remembers, or something he liked or found interesting about the story. (From my research this is a little more true to original Charlotte Mason style narration than 'main idea'.)
4. Ask leading questions, such as "Who was the story about?" and "What happened to that person at the beginning?" Continue with just a few leading questions, then help him repeat his answers in order in one sentence. You could even write on a whiteboard key words or phrases he uses in his answers, and then he can use those same words in his sentence.
5. We've had more than one child who was just afraid of being 'wrong'. Making sure he understands there are no wrong answers might help?
6. While it is a struggle, accept very short sentences! A little success can be motivating. One of my current first grader's sentences last week was "Naaman washed seven times."
7. If you feel strongly about developing the skill of finding the main idea, perhaps change this into an oral activity separate from the sentence writing. Use #4 above for the oral activity.

Hope something in there is helpful!

Ruth
Kids in school: 15, 13, 11, 8, 6, 4, 4
We have used: K, First, all Investigate years
2018-2019: First, ECC, AHL

MrsHWood

Unread post by MrsHWood » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:21 am

Thank you so much. I was writing down his dictation,but he was having trouble taking a story and coming up with a summary. I'll try some of these.

ruthamelia wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:14 pm
Here are a variety of ideas you could try:

1. Have him say the sentence, you write it, then he copies it.
2. Pretend it's not about writing a sentence, and just ask conversationally what he remembers. Write down one sentence he says, or if he doesn't answer in a complete sentence, restate his answer as a sentence so he can hear the difference. Then follow #1.
3. Instead of trying to write a summary sentence, or main idea, just ask him to write a sentence about anything he remembers, or something he liked or found interesting about the story. (From my research this is a little more true to original Charlotte Mason style narration than 'main idea'.)
4. Ask leading questions, such as "Who was the story about?" and "What happened to that person at the beginning?" Continue with just a few leading questions, then help him repeat his answers in order in one sentence. You could even write on a whiteboard key words or phrases he uses in his answers, and then he can use those same words in his sentence.
5. We've had more than one child who was just afraid of being 'wrong'. Making sure he understands there are no wrong answers might help?
6. While it is a struggle, accept very short sentences! A little success can be motivating. One of my current first grader's sentences last week was "Naaman washed seven times."
7. If you feel strongly about developing the skill of finding the main idea, perhaps change this into an oral activity separate from the sentence writing. Use #4 above for the oral activity.

Hope something in there is helpful!

Ruth

allgrace

Unread post by allgrace » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:15 pm

I am teaching First Grade and I always write down my daughter's summary and have her copy it. I think that is very age appropriate. 😀
Grace
"Sanctify them by the Truth, your word is Truth" John 17:17
Ds11:RTR
Dd8:RTR
Dd6: MFW K
Ds 4: VOD
Ds. 2: being very active😜